The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Do you have a Coravin?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Do you have a Coravin?

by Jenise » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:37 pm

We don't. Initially I couldn't wait to get one. Then, in a wine store backroom, I was poured a sample of something special the wine geek owner wanted to share. But the wine wasn't good. It had been poked several times already over a period of weeks and was unfortunately oxidative. So the idea that you can milk a bottle indefinitely as I saw asserted in a commercial today? No.

Btw, the commercial also irritates in that the first statement from the actress/narrator is something about wine "never tasting as good the next day." I realize that this commercial is oriented to the clueless dumb-female level of wine drinker, and god knows they're out there, but all the same I find it insulting.

It's a pass for me.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Do you have a Coravin?

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:37 pm

Nope. Don’t have one. Don’t want one.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:40 am

Nope, no need either.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:16 am

Don't have one, don't want one.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:01 am

Joining the chorus, I thought it was interesting when I first saw it. On second thought, nah.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:17 pm

I have a Winekeeper nitrogen dispensing system. You uncork the bottle in the conventional fashion and then replace the cork with the stopper/dispenser, which replaces the displaced wine with nitrogen gas from a conventional nitrogen bottle that you can get at any welding supply place. One nitrogen bottle lasts for months. As long as you purge the ullage with nitrogen flowing from the stopper/dispenser before you secure the dispenser in place, the wine will last essentially forever without oxidizing.

The problems with argon as an inert gas vs. nitrogen are (1) argon has only half the density of nitrogen (air), so it will tend to rise out of the bottle, and (2) argon is a lot more expensive than nitrogen.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:42 am

No interest here either.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:05 am

When I first read about Coravin, I thought it was an answer to my prayers, namely a device that would allow me to keep fresh overnight the remaining contents of older bottles from my cellar. I even put it on a "wanted" list for a Christmas or birthday. Then I read a thread about it on the UK wine site which indicated that the device would not reliably do what I wanted, so I spent the c.€300 on bottles instead and have never regretted it. It does, however, mean finishing the older bottles between two in one sitting :D :D .
Tim York
no avatar
User

Eli R

Rank

Just got here

Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:22 pm

Rehovot, Israel

by Eli R » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:48 am

Yes I do own one for two years now.
It changed my wine drinking life.
Let me explain:
- Unless at wine tasting events or big family dinners, I am usually the only wine drinker.
- I enjoy a small glass of wine every evening during the week, whenever I can
- Sometimes, when drinking with my wine buddies, I sample between a third and half a bottle to enjoy more wines without drinking too much.
- Last use for me is to test a mature wine before opening it for a wine evening to decide when to uncork it
- I admit I did not try it yet on a mature Bordeaux or Barolo with a cork that could break into pieces

Yes, if you sample the wine 5-6 times, finish the bottle as if it was uncorked