The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some New Boulder Wines...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some New Boulder Wines...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:18 pm

Pre-Thanksgiving (11/21/18), we tried Some New Boulder Wines:
1. Cave MontBlanc Rayon Dd'OC: Vallee d'Aoste Blanc de Morgex et de la Salle (12.5%; Prie blanc family;
www.CaveMontBlanc.com/) Morgex 2014
: Light gold color; quite stony/perfumed talc/chalky slight pungent/
herbal/dirty feet light floral/carnations rathe classic Alpine white nose; quite tart/acidic/metallic/
lean quite stony/chalky/perfumed talc light floral/carnations flavor; med.long quite tart/acidic bit
metallic qute stony/chalky/mineral/saline/savory bit lean/austere finish; a pretty classic Alpine white
w/ lots of chalky/saline character. $24.00 (BWM)
carnations slight chalky pleasant enough nose; rather soft/fat light/floral/carnations very slight
tangy/metallic flavor; med.short soft/bit fat/porky very light/floral/carnations bit tangy/metallic/
bitey finish; speaks of Timorasso with a whisper; one of the dullest Timorassos I've had.
$54.00 (TanninWB)
some earthy/loamy light oak fairly classic Sicilian Frapatto nose; rather soft/light some fragrant/
strawberry/Frapatto/Pinotish rather earthy/loamy/dusty/OV light oak bit rustic pleasant flavor w/
light gentle tannins; med. light/delicate rather Pinotish/Frapatto/strawberry fairly earthy/loamy/
rustic finish w/ light gentle tannins; a light/gentle delicate Pinotish Frapatto a bit on the earthy/
rustic side but rather pricey. $27.00 (Cured)
bit dusty/OV/earthy rather spicy very attractive/aromatic nose; fairly tart/tangy totally dry strong
floral/strawberry/raspberry/Brachetto bit dusty/OV quite perfumey flavor w/ light tangy tannins; very
long/lingering floral/bright/strawberry/raspberry/Brachetto light dusty/OV some tangy/tart finish w/
light tangy/brisk tannins; a bit on the austere side but a quite attractive dry Brachetto at a great
price; better than the latest Sottimano Mate Brachetto; prefer the Birbet style for Brachetto, though.
$15.00 (DiVino)
licorice flavor w/ some hard/tangy tannins; very long/lingering rather tart strong Barbera/dried herbs/
Italian sausage/spicy light floral/Nebb-like bit earthy/dusty slightly complex finish w/ modest hard/
chewy tannins; speaks mostly of Barbera w/ a bit of floral/Nebb-like character; quite an attractive
Barbera. $27.00 (DiVino)
almost Lodi Zin-like/mushroomy classic Zweigelt nose; soft/lush Zweigelt/boysenberry/grape/blackberry/
licorice somewhat earthy/loamy flavor w/ light smooth tannins; very long soft/ripe/lush some Zweigelt/
boysenberry/blackberry/grapey rather earthy/loamy finish w/ light tannins; a bit lightish for Zweigelt
but a very nice drinking red at a great price. $12.78 (PrimaIlC)
Teroldego/black cherry cola/blackberry/boysenberry/ripe light toasty/oak bit earthy/licorice/pungent
flavor w/ modest tangy/bracing tannins; very long/lingering very spicy/boysenberry/black cherry cola/
classic Teroldego light earthy/pungent/licorice bit soft light oak finish w/ light tangy tannins;
needs 2-5 yrs; speaks strongly of Teroldego and reminds me a lot of the excellent Bevella; an absolutely
lovely expression of Teroldego that I'd be proud to share w/ Elisabetta; one of the best CO reds I can
recall. $nc (KS)/$40.00
blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah/very spicy/bit black pepper very light toasty/oak slight earthy/dusty/
licorice very aromatic nose; bit soft/fat very strong blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah/spicy/peppery light
toasty/oak structured flavor w/ some hard/crunchy tannins; very long/lingering very strong Syrah/very
spicy/black pepper/blackberry/blueberry/boysenberry slight earthy/dusty light toasty/oak structured
finish w/ ample chewy/crunchy tannins; tannins really stand out now but should moderate w/ some 3-7 yrs
of age; best Syrah I've yet had from CO; reminds me a lot of a very good SantaBarbara Syrah, particularly
the Jaffurs Thompson, but w/o the lushness that Syrah shows; another outstanding CO red. $nc (KS)/$44.00
blackberry quite earthy some loamy/compost pile bit alcoholic/fumey some toasty/oak rather rustic nose;
soft/fat/porky rather alcoholic/hot rather toasty/oak strong grapey/boysenberry/blackberry rather earthy/
loamy fairly coarse/rustic some toasty/oak flavor w/ soft/plush tannins; med. soft/fat strong grapey/
boysenberry/overripe some hot/fumey fairly toasty/oak rather coarse/rustic/porky finish w/ some soft/
overripe tannins; a pretty typical PhilippeCambie over-the-top overblown red; the Meiomi of the Kratosija
world; overpriced at $24.00 (BWM)
_____________________________________________________________________________________
More trobapsell from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. The two CO wines came to me compliments of KyleSchlachter. They were two that particularly interested
me from the recent Governor'sCupCase.
RedFoxCllrs is the project of Scott & Sherrie Hamilton. They make an interesting tableau of wines,
including Dolcetto/Tempranillo/and Nebbiolo, plus the obligatory Merlot (aged in Bourbon barrels) and
CabSauv. I was quite impressed by this Teroldego...as good an expression of Teroldego as you can find in
Trentino, except for that of ElisabettaForadori. But this is a Teroldego that I would happily show her
w/ no apologies necessary. It's the embracing of these alternative varieties that the CO wine industry
must do to escape the doldroms of being a State that just produces another set of the CabSauv/Merlot/
Chard paradigm. Sure would make Kyle's job a lot easier!!
MonkshoodCllrs is the effort of NathanLittleJohn. He makes a few interesting wines (CheninBlanc and
St.Vincent) and some ciders. I can't tell if he embraces the "natural winemaking" philosophy or not,
but this outstanding Syrah showed none of the earmarks/problems that "natural wine" can often show.
StVincent is a mystery grape whose origins are in Missouri. I'd love to try it to see what Nathan can
do w/ a native grape variety. He has a winemaking background at Mayacamas, plus others. This was easily
the best Syrah from CO I've yet tried.
Back Roads Importing is a new importer (apparently) run by Blake Nicoloff out of Denver. Never seen
any of their wines up there before. They also carry a Baja wine and a couple of distillates.
Tom