The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Taco Night

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Taco Night

by Jenise » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:35 pm

2012 Mullineux Syrah Swartland
Finally some secondary development. Past bottles had been monochromatic fruit, so the tarry note's welcome. But the tannins are still large and there's very little acidity--it likely won't improve from here.

2003 Conde Cabernet Sauvignon Stellenbosch
Younger in color and flavor than the bottle opened in 2015. Dark berry fruit with cinnamon and a band-aid note on the finish that was interesting and different.

1976 Sterling Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Napa Valley
Alive and kicking! Dark, ruddy red color. Good nose. On the palate, it's more about tones than flavor, and they're all good for 42 years if a tad subdued.

2011 Nota Bene Cellars Ciel du Cheval Vineyard Red Mountain Red Bordeaux Blend
Took one taste and immediately reached for the bottle to check the abv. Says 14.7%, but drinks even hotter than that. How in the H-word did someone make a wine like this in 2011???? No bueno.

2009 Kenwood Zinfandel 'Jack London Vineyard'
Have no recollection of buying this, but glad to have found it in the cellar. Wasn't hot as I feared it might be due to the vintage, just elegantly concentrated with that wild berry thing the Jack London vineyard fruit is so good at. Another occasion where I go, "Why don't I buy more zinfandel?"
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Taco Night

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:09 pm

Zinfandel-much loved when it isn’t being much maligned.
Decisions are made by those who show up