The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Herrenweg '02...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Herrenweg '02...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:03 am

Joe brought this ystrday to share w/ Blair:
1. Dom.Zind-Humbrecht Riesling Herrenweg de Turckheim AC: Vin d'Alsace (13%) Turckheim 2002: Deep gold/burnished bronze color; intense honeyed/apricotty/peachy/R some gout de petrol/pungent some botrytis/Auslese-like beautiful complex nose; soft/ripe/lush/fat intense honeyed/apricotty/peachy/Auslese-like/botrytis/R some pungent/gout de petrol/Mosel valve oil some off-dry (0.6%-0.8% r.s.?) slight pencilly complex flavor; very long/lingering intense botrytis/Auslese-like/R/honeyed/apricotty slight gout de petrol soft/fat/ripe/lush rather complex finish; very much like an old German Auslese; a bit over-the-top but great to just drink.
1. This was a huge/intense Riesling that I thought would not go very well w/ food other than simple cookies. I actually had it with a grilled kasekrainer sausage that really toned the wine down. I got the kasekrainer from DrFieldGoods Butcher Shop that Gabe had been making for a local SF restaurant. It was fabulous, as good as you can get in Wien. Kasekrainer is a Vienna street food that is made of pork like a kielbasa and contains chunks of Gruyere cheese and then lightly smoked over an applewood fire. When you cut into it or take a bite, the runny Gruyere oozes out onto the plate or down your chin. Good stuff and DrFieldGoods has nailed it...as good as I've had in Wien.
Tom