The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three Matthiassons...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Three Matthiassons...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:57 pm

Tried these three over the last few weeks:
1. Matthiasson Chard MichaelMaraVnyd/SonomaCoast (134.3%) 2015: Med.yellow color; some stony/mineral light honeudew/melony/Chard/slight pineapple bit floral rather pleasant/simple nose; quite tart/lean some chalky/mineral light Chard/honeydew melon rather simple/clean flavor; long light honeydew melon/Chard bit chalky/mineral/perfumed talc quite tart/lean pleasant/simple finish; a pleasant/clean/simple Chard that just leaves me wanting more; rather on the lean/pinched/eviscerated side. $55.00
2. Matthiasson Calif Rose Wine (11.5%; Grenache/Syrah/Mourvedre/Counoise) 2017: Med.copper/salmon color; quite fragrant cranberry/watermelon/pomengranate some spicy/cinammon very attractive nose; quite tart/tangy/acid strong cranberryy/pomengranate very spicy/cinammon brisk/bracing/juicy flavor; very long very tart/tangy/bit metallic strong watermelon/cranberry/pomengranate rather spicy/cinammon finish; an altogether brisk/bracing/bright/juicy/spicy rose. $24.00
3. Matthiasson Lagrein LonePineVnyd/ElDoradoCnty (11.8%) 2015: Very dark color; strong plummy/black cherry cola/bit boysenberry somewhat earthy/loamy bit rustic rather classic Lagrein nose; rather tart/lean/bit hard strong Lagrein/plummy/black cherry cola/bit boysenberry fairly earthy/loamy/rustic flavor w/ modest tangy tannins; very long rather tart/tangy/lean strong Lagrein/plummy/black cherry cola rather earthy/loamy/bit mushroomy w/ light brittle tannins; a pretty good expression of Sudtirol Lagrein w/ the ElDorado terroir giving the Sudtirol earthy/loamy character often found in those wines; but not as soft/lush as those Lagreins; on the lean/brittle side and would like a bit more soft/lush character; very interesting Lagrein. $40.00
1. I was expecting the Rose to be on Steve's lean/spare side. It was not. It was packed w/ flavor. Some of the grapes for this come from the WindmillVnyd in the DunniganHills in SolanoCnty....not a place noted for quality grapes. Probably a large part of the character in this wine comes from the 60+ yr old Grenache, goblet pruned, on the GibsonRanch in the McDowellVlly. Seems like a bit of a waste to use such great grapes in a rose, though.
This is Steve's first stab at Legrein. Sourcing from ElDoradoCnty probably gives the earthy/loamy character that you find in Sudtirol Lagreins. Lagrein is a descendant of Teroldego and related to Syrah & PinotNoir in some unclear way.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Three Matthiassons...(short/boring)

by Brian K Miller » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:08 pm

Tom: Are you saying that there is no such thing as a great rose worthy of good grapes? It sounded like this was a delicious rose?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yeah...

by TomHill » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:41 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Tom: Are you saying that there is no such thing as a great rose worthy of good grapes? It sounded like this was a delicious rose?

Yeah, perhaps, Brian. I presume these were great Grenache grapes. I would think they would have a higher calling made as a red.
If you had a ton of Pinot off Romanee-Conti. You could undoubtedly make a rose from them. Probably a great rose. But I would think you could make an even greater wine as a red.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:59 pm

I had the Michael Mara Chardonnay withThanksgiving dinner,and thought it was a much better wine than you did. Way better.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:47 am

Tom, I'm not sure the Grenache at Gibson Ranch can make a "great" red, but I know it makes nice rosé, especially when farmed attentively, and the pleasure those particular grapes confer in a rosé may be as worthwhile and reliable as those vines may have to offer. Sometimes that's just what you want!
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...