The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: P. Licht Bergweiler Erben, Riesling Spatlese 2001

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

WTN: P. Licht Bergweiler Erben, Riesling Spatlese 2001

by Ryan M » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:22 am

The 2001s were released just as I was getting seriously into wine, and I didn't know enough to realize that I should have bought a lot more. So when I got an attractive offer for a 2001 recently (from JJ Buckley) I jumped on it. And I am so happy I did!

Weingut P. Licht Bergweiler Erben, Riesling Spatlese, Brauneberger Mandelgraben, Mosel 2001
Excellent, youthful color, medium golden yellow with a hint of green. Awesome nose, such depth and complexity, ripe pear / apple and fresh apricot, with big notes of grapefruit / lemon, all richly honeyed, with a touch of mature fruitcake-like notes, candied fruit, big notes of petrol, all underlaid by abundant notes of slate / mineral, and with a just a touch of savory herbal notes; I’ve never experienced a nose like this before, I am rather blown away. On the palate, extraordinary honeyed apple, the apple having a remarkable sweetness, fleshiness, and acidity (like a good honey crisp), fresh fleshy apricot / plum, a strong note of raspberry, lots of lovely, sweet-tart, fresh citrus (lime, grapefruit, lemon), a hint of lemongrass, and toward the finish, candied / fruitcake notes, all underlaid by deep notes of slate, with a very long finish of citrus, sweet-tart fruit, mineral, petrol, and spice. Full bodied, with a savory, fleshy, sweet-tart, honeyed texture. Captivating. Drinking incredibly young still, I might have guessed blind that it was only 5 - 10 years old. 20 years ahead and I wouldn’t be shocked to find it alive beyond that. Fabulous. Probably the best German Riesling I have ever had. 5 Stars [11/28/18]

IMG_4525.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)