The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 9 Graves, 1 Burg, 1 Barsac

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 9 Graves, 1 Burg, 1 Barsac

by Dale Williams » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:13 pm

A nice group gathered at Sutton Inn Tuesday to welcome Patrick in from Colorado. Theme was older Graves. We started with some chacruterie (lonza, coppa, foie gras parfait, etc) and then I had the tuna tartare.

1983 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc
Citrus, white cherries and a little wax and coconut. Still young and vibrant. Nice length. A-
(one person thought possibly corked and almost convinced another, but not only did I not get must I usually don’t find even slightly corked wines this aromatic)

2008 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne

Hit the lottery- a non premoxed BdM! Lovely and long, classic young white Burg. A-

I had a mushroom risotto midcourse, and then venison (sides of potatoes, bok choy, mushrooms)

1998 La Tour Haut Brion

(double-decanted)Young, promising, but a bit too tannic now. B

1979 Haut Bailly
(double-decanted) Cassis, cigarbox, elegant with good acids. B+/A-

1979 La Tour Haut Brion
corked!

1979 Domaine de Chevalier
Corked! Too bad, always a favorite

1978 Domaine de Chevalier
(double-decanted at 3 pm)Probably neck and neck with Haut Bailly for the most complete for drinking right now. Red fruits but a touch of cassis, earth and tobacco. Some leather/cigarbox with time. B+/A-

1970 Pape Clement,
(double-decanted) funky and somewhat volatile at first. Calms down a bit (I know VA shouldn’t blow off) with red fruits and chewing tobacco. Interesting but I don’t think correct bottle. B/B-

1983 La Mission Haut Brion
(double-decanted at 3 pm)Quite young , cassis with smoke and pencil shavings, earth. Some pipe tobacco and herb notes with air. Lively and classy. A-

1994 Haut Brion

(double-decanted) what a great showing for an ‘94. Cassis, black plum earthy notes of mushroom and decaying leaves. Still some tannic structure, but nice flavor profile. A-

2001 Climens

Tried a little with the foie gras and a bit more at end. Young, stunning, totally classic with honey, apricot, and orange marmalade flavors, electric acids holding up richness. A-
Last edited by Dale Williams on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 9 Graves, 1 Burg, 1 Barsac

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:15 pm

The Haut Brion was an '88 or a '94?

2001 Barsac (and Sauternes) is such a treat!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 9 Graves, 1 Burg, 1 Barsac

by Dale Williams » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:18 pm

oops corrected
subliminal mistake, I was opining on similarities of 2 vintages last night