The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Dönnhoff Riesling Nahe Germany; recipe for Quiche.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2004 Dönnhoff Riesling Nahe Germany; recipe for Quiche.

by Bob Ross » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:42 pm

2004 Dönnhoff Riesling Nahe Germany. AP 77530103005. 9.0% alcohol. Terry Theise Estate Selection, imported by Michael Skurnik, Syosset NY. Light yellow color, clear hue, lovely fruit and mineral aromas and tastes, relatively sweet now, good acidity, great balance with just a bit of edginess, long finish, would benefit from more age, but drinking very well now. 4*+.

I know it is too early to open this Riesling in normal times, but I've been learning to make quiches and I thought that it would match well with an asparagus quiche I planned, based on the following recipe from Whole Foods [originally for broccoli florets]. In the event, the Riesling was a perfect match. The little bit of edginess added interest to the egg and milkiness of the main dish, and the sweetness was a good match for the asparagus. Delicious.

Asparagus Onion Quiche

Gluten-Free, Vegetarian

The addition of brown rice helps firm this quiche, however, wheat or spelt flour can be substituted. While excellent with Romano cheese, feel free to substitute any favorite grated cheese.
Serves 4

* 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
* 1/2 large onion, diced
* 2 cups asparagus tips
* 4 large eggs
* 1 cup 1% (low fat) milk
* 1/3 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
* ½ tsp sea salt or to taste
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 1/2 tsp oregano
* 1/4 cup brown rice flour
* dash of paprika

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x9 baking pan with nonstick olive oil cooking spray and set aside.

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about three minutes. Add asparagus and cook about five minutes or until just tender. Transfer vegetables to prepared pan.

In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, Romano cheese, salt, pepper and oregano. Whisk in rice flour. Pour egg mixture evenly over vegetables. Sprinkle with paprika and bake until eggs are set, about 35 minutes. Cool quiche 10 minutes before serving.

Cook's note: In the broccoli version, use 2 cups of broccoli florets cut into one inch cubes. Five minutes is right for cooking the broccoli; the asparagus takes a minute or two less.