The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Weekend wines- Etna, Loire, Burg, Wachau

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Weekend wines- Etna, Loire, Burg, Wachau

by Dale Williams » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:30 pm

2014 Passopisciaro Passorosso (Etna). I think this is same bottling that used to be Terre Siciliane, but they now earn the Etna DOC. KIrschy, some heat on palate (15%), cough drop. Probably a better CdP than Etna. B-/C+

With wahoo 2 ways (crudo and baked) and pasta with a fresh tomato sauce, the 2011 Michelot “Genevieres” Meursault. Pear, lemon meringue pie, hazelnut. Pretty classic white Burgundy , but with only modest acids and just a hint of oxidation after a couple hours, fun but drink up. B/B+ for drinking now

With sousvide pork chops, green beans, & couscous, the 2000 Nikolaihof “Im Weingebirge” Riesling Smaragd. Petrol and honeycomb over dry citrus fruit, still plenty of acid, but finish isn’t so long and there’s a sense that this has run its course, time to drink up. B+ for now

Betsy made a sheet-pan dinner of trout and broccolini with a garlic/Aleppo/caper sauce, served with brown rice, salad, and the 2015 Pepiere “Clos des Briords” Muscadet. Rounder riper vintage of Briords, not my fave but I’ll take 2nd tier Briords over 1st tier vintages of most wines. Lemon, apple, and oyster shell. Fun if not profound. B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Weekend wines- Etna, Loire, Burg, Wachau

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:37 pm

Nice notes Dale. Happy holidays to all your family and the doggie!