The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Catching up with a few overdue notes from CellarTracker

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Catching up with a few overdue notes from CellarTracker

by JC (NC) » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:47 pm

2014 Jean-Marc Brocard Bourgogne Blanc Kimmeridgien
15-year old vines grown on Kimmeridgien soil. Labeled as 12.5% abv. Gold color. Limestone contributes to the mineral (more steel-like than chalky IMO) quality of the wine. It is vibrant and easy to sip quickly. I think it would pair more widely with dishes than would a creamier rendition of Chardonnay. This wine is redolent with charm and harmony.
In a tasting with premier or grand cru wines from Puligny-Montrachet, Chassagne-Montrachet, Meursault, or Le Montrachet, I might score it lower to allow for greater wines to shine. However, on its own and for what it is, I find this attractive wine worthy of an outstanding or near-outstanding rating and would score it 89 or 90.

2013 Williams Selyem Chardonnay Charles Heintz Vineyard, Russian River Valley, CA
14.7% abv. Medium-gold color. Fragrant with lanolin, apple and spiced pear. Similar flavors on the palate. Long finish.

2013 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Russian River Valley, Ca
About 14% abv. Dark purple color. Quite fruity, suggestive of purple fruit (grapes, plums, and also dark cherries.) Speaks of the Russian River Valley terroir. Attractive but I prefer some of the single vineyard designates from Williams-Selyem. I would give it 88 or 89 points.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Catching up with a few overdue notes from CellarTracker

by Jenise » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:31 pm

The alcohol on the WS chard didn't bother you? I'm surprised it's so high. I just bought a '15 or '16. Better check it!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Catching up with a few overdue notes from CellarTracker

by JC (NC) » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:44 pm

I thought it was still a very good wine (I have a lot of respect for the Charles Heintz grapes) but I preferred the Brocard.