The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

More notes from CellarTracker going back several months

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

More notes from CellarTracker going back several months

by JC (NC) » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:38 pm

2015 Saintsbury Pinot Noir Carneros, CA
I had a glass of this at Chris's Steakhouse (a locally owned restaurant in Fayetteville, NC--not Ruth's Chris chain). Darkly colored for a California Pinot Noir. Deep fruit but also some depth below the fruitiness. Smooth and silky, delightful. I had it with grilled shrimp, rice pilaf and broccoli.

2013 Domaine Charvin Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Rhone, France
14.5% abv. I had some congestion from allergies when I opened this so was not getting the full scent of the wine. On the palate I got pleasant sensations of dark cherries and berries. It has some grip and a lingering finish. This wine seems to be nicely poised between being easy drinking and having a bit of structure. In my estimation it doesn't need a lot of aging to be enjoyable. but I may keep my second bottle for a couple more years.

2007 Joseph Swan Vineyards Syrah Trenton Estate, Russian River Valley, CA
14.6% abv. Cork was in poor shape and broke up when I tried to extract it. I filtered the wine through a tea sieve. Impenetrable purple coloring. Attractive dark fruit with some underlying depth, textured and layered. Easy to gulp down but that would tend to make you miss the finesse. Fresher on the first two evenings--a bit tired the third evening. Many Zinfandels nowadays come in at 15% or higher alcohol. I appreciate that this is below 15%. I really enjoyed this although it could stand up to barbecue or something stronger than the baked pork chops I was having with it.

2006 Joseph Swan Vineyards Zinfandel Trenton Station--Lion Ridge, Russian River Valley, CA
15.2% abv. Cork was not extracted cleanly. Earthy, slightly herbal, but with ample dark fruit to appeal to the pleasure taste buds. Tannins are integrated and the alcohol level is not that obvious. IMO this is quite vibrant for a 12-year-old wine. I had it one evening with beef and then the next evening with a Greek lamb, green bean and tomato casserole and a small baked potato. Quite attractive.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: More notes from CellarTracker going back several months

by David M. Bueker » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:06 pm

Charvin is always fine. I could be happy with that and Pegau for my CNdP universe.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:23 pm

My CdP universe has imploded. Drank my last one a week ago, Pegau Reserve 2004. I might buy more Pegaus if I my cash wasn't marked for more worthy appellations.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:23 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Charvin is always fine. I could be happy with that and Pegau for my CNdP universe.

Ditto: but I'd have to throw in Vieux Donjon.

JC--Saintsbury pinots are always dark like that, almost black. Must come from extraction and yet the wines don't register as over-extracted to me, ever. And they age well.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov