The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Failla GrunerVeltliner WilamatteVlly '17..(short/boring

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Failla GrunerVeltliner WilamatteVlly '17..(short/boring

by TomHill » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:41 am

Tried this w/ Susan on Christmas Eve:
1. Failla GrunerVeltliner ChehalemMtnVnyd/ChehalemMtns (12.1%) 2017: Pale gold color; light pear/GV/appley/earthy very quiet GV slight metallic little fruit nose; very tart/tangy/quite lean/bit eviscerated some appley/pear very light GV no white pepper some stony/chalky flavor; me4d.long quite tart/tangy simple apple/pear quite lean light pencilly/oak finish; very little GV character; this GV is to Calif GV as many OR Chards are to Calif Chards; almost totally devoid of any GV character; disappointing; an Oakland wine. $25.00
1. This is the first release of EhrenJordan's OR operation in the WilametteVlly. I was excited to see that he was producing a Riesling/Gamay/GV in OR. Not tried the other two yet. I was hugely disappointed in this wine and expected quite a lot more. The wine is not bad, per se....just lacking in the aromatics you'd expect from a GV. It has structure & acidity...just not much aromatics or flavor. However, I'm a great believer in Ehren's winemaking and would not be the least bit surprised that this wine will put on weight & develop aromatics. Or maybe not...maybe it's just an Oakland wine that'll never escape Oakland.
Tom