The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Meiomi PinotNoir '17...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Meiomi PinotNoir '17...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:09 pm

Based on EricAsimov's rec for this wine, I cracked at Susan's:
1. Meiomi PinotNoir (13.7%; 56% MontereyCnty/26% SBCnty/18% SonomaCnty; www.Meiomi.com) MeiomiWines/Acampo 2017: Very dark color uncharacteristic of PN w/ thick/heavy legs; strong fruity vaguely PN/black cherry almost blackcurranty/Cab some toasty/oak light earthy rather simple/forward/fruity nose; very soft/fat bit porky strong grapey/fruity vaguely PN/black cherry more blackcurranty/Cab some toasty/oak big fruit flavor w/ light almost no tannins; med.long strong grapey/fruity maybe off-dry (0.5%-0.7% r.s.?) vaguely PN/black cherry mostly blackcurranty/Cab some toasty/oak big fruit finish w/ almost no tannins; a porky/big fruit/confected red that speaks only vaguely of PN and more like blackcurranty/Cab; not a bad red but just utterly boring. $16.00 (SMP)
1. This wine was pretty much about what I expected. Big fruit & utterly boring, though not as boring as a 2$Chuck. There was nothing I could put my finger as making it spoofalated, but I'm sure it was the best their lab could concoct. It certainly didn't speak any of Monterey PN. Not sure where the blackcurranty character came from but perhaps the MegaPurple. It actually went perfectly fine w/ the GreenChile Stew, but pretty boring to taste on its own.
This was, of course, the wnry started by JoeyWagner of Caymus fame. No vnyds, all purchased grapes. He sold it to Constellation for big $$'s. So this came from their mega-factory over in Acampo.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Meiomi PinotNoir '17...(short/boring)

by Jenise » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:58 pm

Friends recently through a Joe Wagner vs. the world blind (about 25 wines) pinot noir tasting. 5 or 6 Wagners were in the mix, from both CA and OR, and fairly easily discernible as same for the characteristics you point out here.

I haven't yet read the Asimov article you refer to, but need to--can't imagine him recco'ing this.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:08 pm

TomHill wrote:Based on EricAsimov's rec for this wine,

To be accurate, Asimov did not recommend this wine. He invited readers doing the "wine school" to try 3 mass market formulaic wines (Meiomi, Prisoner, Apothic) and decide what they think.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:29 pm

But that doesn’t make a good troll. Come on Dale, you know Tom is stirring the pot for his own entertainment.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:18 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:But that doesn’t make a good troll. Come on Dale, you know Tom is stirring the pot for his own entertainment.

And we never do that? Come on, lighten up.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:21 pm

Can’t/you/tell/when/I/am/stirring/the/pot?
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Hmmm...

by TomHill » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:54 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
TomHill wrote:Based on EricAsimov's rec for this wine,

To be accurate, Asimov did not recommend this wine. He invited readers doing the "wine school" to try 3 mass market formulaic wines (Meiomi, Prisoner, Apothic) and decide what they think.

Hmmmmm....
Eric wrote:Love these wines or hate them, they are worth getting to know.

Certainly sounds like a rec to me, Dale. In a back-handed sort of way.
I realize that this is not Eric's normal "rec"..."we tried X wines and these are the ones we liked."
But he suggested/rec'd these wine probably not on what he liked, but because they were wildly
popular w/ the masses..not necessarily connoisseurs.
Tom
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Moi???

by TomHill » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:00 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:But that doesn’t make a good troll. Come on Dale, you know Tom is stirring the pot for his own entertainment.

Moi..stir the pot??...nobody has ever accused me of doing that before, David!! :roll:
I realized I had not, that I can recall, tried the Meomi PN, so just wanted to see what it was like and
just simply reported what I thought of it. Many folks express disdain for ApotheticRed and Meomi, but
have never tried them. Exact same way they do w/ Rombauer Chard..which is actually darned good Chard.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:39 pm

I have been unlucky enough to try Meiomi, the various Apothic wines, and numerous other “creations” in blind tastings over the last several years.

Very simply, they are not worth drinking.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup...

by TomHill » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:44 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I have been unlucky enough to try Meiomi, the various Apothic wines, and numerous other “creations” in blind tastings over the last several years.
Very simply, they are not worth drinking.

Yup, David...totally agree. Not worth wasting my alcohol consumption on. But if there are people
out there who like it...I'm not gonna complain.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:50 pm

Agreed.

I would rather they load up on Meiomi than go after my beloved Burgundies.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:35 pm