The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Trippin' Down MemoryLane: Mateus Rose NV...(short/borin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Trippin' Down MemoryLane: Mateus Rose NV...(short/borin

by TomHill » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:56 pm

I saw for the first time in yrs on the shelf a btl of the Mateus Rose, so I thought I'd take another one for the team:
1. Mateus The Original Rose (11%; http://www.Evaton.com; RS: 1.5%; Energetic Value: 71kcal|297kJ) P&B by SoGrapeVinhos/Gaia/Portugal NV: Clear glass btl w/ spiffied up label; the screw-top closure was so tight that I had to use Vice-Grips to get the cap off, even though I'd scored the screwcap collar; pale salmon color w/ lots of fizzy bubbles; rather grapey/fruity.simple/cranberry/strawberry slight soda-poppy light earthy nose; quite frizzante some off-dry rather soft rather grapey/strawberry/cranberry/fruity slight earthy flavor w/ no tannins; very short some frizzante/tangy grapey/fruity/cranberry/strawberry off-dry slight earthy finish w/ no tannins; a bit on the vapid/light-weight/undistinguished side but not as sweet as I expected and actually better than I expected; a pretty classic Oakland wine. $10.00 (SFW&S)
Around 1966, Mateus (and Lancers) were my gateway drug into the World of Wine. I recalled that I'd entered my first InterNet TN on this wine back in 1966 on WineCrazies.com, an early precursor to WineBerserkers.com. There you would often find TN's from RobertLawrenceBalzer/AndreSimon/RobertFinegan/Pliny the Elder, and the like. So I searched back thru my archives and, low&behold, found that original punched-card deck that had my TN. So I hooked up my punch-card reader to my iPhone thru its USB port and downloaded the TN to my iPhone. It said:
Tom/1966 wrote: Mateus Rose (17.4%; RS: 7.3%) SoGrape NV (1965?): Pale color like blood-stained urine; very fragrant grapey-fruity-Concord-like-floral-hollyhocks nose; quite fizzy floral-hollyhocks-grapey-fruity lightly-sweet flavor with little tannins; very long-lingering rich-lush soda-poppy-fizzy dry finish; a classic seduction wine.
$2.99/flagon (B)

Back in those early days of the InterNet, the punch-card machines didn't have a "/", only a "-", so the style of my TN makes it a bit difficult to read. As you can see, the quality of Mateus has not changed a whole lot over the yrs.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Re: WTN: Trippin' Down MemoryLane: Mateus Rose NV...(short/b

by Jon Leifer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:12 pm

found a bottle of this a few months ago locally, bought it, your notes say it all. wife was kinda surprised that I bought, even more surprised when I said it wasn't bad..nothing to write home about but it was an easy drinker, price locally a few bucks less than what you paid..
Jon
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup...

by TomHill » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:35 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:found a bottle of this a few months ago locally, bought it, your notes say it all. wife was kinda surprised that I bought, even more surprised when I said it wasn't bad..nothing to write home about but it was an easy drinker, price locally a few bucks less than what you paid..

Yup, Jon...a wine that exceeded my very low expectations. Maybe I’ll try another one 50 yrs down the road!!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:22 am

Mateus Rose was the first wine I ordered in a restaurant.

I've read that they relaunched it with a differet formaulation, less sweet. They also slightly changed the bottle design and I believe they've added other wines under the Mateus label. But I haven't tasted any of them, and now, thanks to Tom, I don't think I will!

BTW I don't recall the original being that strong, certainly not 17.4% :lol:

(You must have been sold a duff punch card machine if it didn't have a '/'. It'd been no use on IBM whose machine instructions started (and still do) with // eg

//PM40XJ7 JOB JCLUSER,MSGLEVEL=(1,1),CLASS=A,MSGCLASS=T,TIME=1
//JOBLIB DD DSN=RSMPM.OPC.LOAD,DISP=SHR
//STEP1 EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
//NEWLIST DD DSN=RSM.OPCA.DS1,
// UNIT=SYSDA,DISP=(,CATLG),SPACE=(CYL,(2,5),RLSE),
// DCB=(RECFM=FBA,LRECL=121,BLKSIZE=12100)
//STEP2 EXEC PGM=OPCUTIL,PARM='WAIT=1,RC=16'
/*
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yeah....

by TomHill » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:07 am

Peter May wrote:Mateus Rose was the first wine I ordered in a restaurant.

I've read that they relaunched it with a differet formaulation, less sweet. They also slightly changed the bottle design and I believe they've added other wines under the Mateus label. But I haven't tasted any of them, and now, thanks to Tom, I don't think I will!

BTW I don't recall the original being that strong, certainly not 17.4% :lol:

(You must have been sold a duff punch card machine if it didn't have a '/'. It'd been no use on IBM whose machine instructions started (and still do) with // eg

//PM40XJ7 JOB JCLUSER,MSGLEVEL=(1,1),CLASS=A,MSGCLASS=T,TIME=1
//JOBLIB DD DSN=RSMPM.OPC.LOAD,DISP=SHR
//STEP1 EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
//NEWLIST DD DSN=RSM.OPCA.DS1,
// UNIT=SYSDA,DISP=(,CATLG),SPACE=(CYL,(2,5),RLSE),
// DCB=(RECFM=FBA,LRECL=121,BLKSIZE=12100)
//STEP2 EXEC PGM=OPCUTIL,PARM='WAIT=1,RC=16'

/*

Yeah, Peter....really trippin' down memory lane here. Haven't thought about JCL (Job Control Language) in quite
a few yrs. First used it on the IBM 1410 in the early '60's. Used to know what all those keywords stood for. Not no more.
Tom
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:19 pm

First used it on the IBM 1410 in the early '60'

Still being used, still 73 columns but no actual cards, just virtual ones.

That code is from one of the z/OS courses I teach, not that I teach JCL but I have colleagues who do. Me, I just copy'n'paste :)
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Harumph..

by TomHill » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:24 pm

Peter May wrote:
First used it on the IBM 1410 in the early '60'

Still being used, still 73 columns but no actual cards, just virtual ones.

That code is from one of the z/OS courses I teach, not that I teach JCL but I have colleagues who do. Me, I just copy'n'paste :)

Awww, Peter..next thing you know you'll tell me they're still using FORTRAN !! :lol:
The cards actually had an active field of 72 columns, w/ the last 8 columns for a card ID, for an 80-col. card.
Tom