The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Idlewild Sunday School: Val d'Aosta..(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Idlewild Sunday School: Val d'Aosta..(long/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:58 pm

Idlewild SundaySchool: Wines of the Valle d'Aosta Dec 9, 2018
1. Maison Vevey Albert Blac de Morgex LaSalle Dd'OP: Vallee d'Aoste (12%; Prie grape; Own rooted; 7000 btls) 2015:
Med.gold color; very fragrant appley/pear/spicy/cardamon bit pungent light chalky/perfumed talc classic Alpine
white lovely nose; quite tart/tangy strong floral/pear/peach/apple some chalky/perfumed talc fairly rich taut/
wirey flavor; very long/lingering strong floral/apple/pear rather stony/chalky/perfumed talc finish; a lovely
classic Alpine floral white some richer than most Alpine whites.
pear blossom quite stony/chalky/mineral finish; a classic Alpine white but a bit richer & more aromatic than many;
a lovely Alpine white.
very long/lingering bright rose-petal/floral/cranberry/strawberry quite tart/tangy slight earthy/mineral;
a very pretty expression of an Alpine rose; reminds a lot of a light Ligurian Rossese.
Grenache-like bit earthy/loamy somewhat rustic quite lovely nose; quite tart rather grapey/strawberry/Grenache-like
some earthy/loamy/mineral bit complex flavor w/ light tangy tannins; very long/lingering quite fruity/grapey/
strawberry/Grenache-like bit rustic/stony/mineral complex finish w/ light bright tannins; a really lovely
lightweight Alpine/mineral red that reminds some of Grenache w/ a strong mineral component.
Zin-like/bit peppery light earthy/loamy/stony very pretty finish w/ light tannins; a very pretty rather Zin-like
red some like a DryCreekVlly/Nalle Zin, some like a Ligurian Rossesse.
cranberry/bit Zin-like/slight peppery slight earthy finish w/ light tannins; quite a pretty aromatic delicious red.
Gamay-like/juicy flavor w/ light earthy tannins; very long rather earthy/dusty some floral/raspberry/strawberry/
bit Zin-like/bit Gamay-like rather tart finish w/ light tannins; fair amount of earthy/dusty character but very
attractive aromatics.
light rough/rustic tannins; has a rather rough/rustic/funky character that some thought was due to TCA but not
obviously corked to me.
nose; fairly tart/tangy pungent/herbal/Mondeuse/thyme slight blackberry bit earthy/dusty/stony slightly rustic very
interesting structured flavor w/ modest chewey tannins; very long bit rustic/earthy/dusty strong Mondeuse/herbal/thyme
finish w/ light crunchy tannins; speaks strongly of Mondeuse but more structured than most from Savoie; actually
resembles Lagier-Meredith Mndeuse but more rustic and w/o the oak; much like the CortiReserve Mondeuse but more
earthy/rustic; quite a good expression of Mondeuse.
bretty/funky/rustic strong floral/lilacs/Nebb slight tarry/pungent finis w/ light hard/crunchy tannins; speaks
strongly of Nebb but w/ a more rustic side more like Vaaltelline or Val d'Ossola Nebb; note the high-toned
character of B/B Nebb; noticible brett but not really dirty/unclean.
favorite Italian wines. Alas, not at all easy to find. When I found out several months ago that Sam's Dec
SundaySchool were Val d'Aosta, I knew that I had to go out for it. That, along w/ Jake's LimerickLane debut
of Cruz's Grenache, sealed the deal for a trip.
The wines for SS are usually selected by Thomas deBiase, the sorta GM at Idlewild (not exactly sure what his
title is, if he even has one). His father, Tom deBiase, is a longtime friend from when we met long ago at HdR.
I knew that Thomas was very knowledgeable about Italian wines, but I was totally blindsided by his extent and
depth of knowledge. I'm sorta geeky when it comes to obscure Italian varieties. But I was totally unprepared to
be so vastly out-geeked on these wines by Thomas. I was left in awe. I was expecting to have several/many of
the Val d'Aosta's I'd tried before. This turned out to be hardly the case. There was only one of these wines
I'd ever tried before. In fact, though familiar w/ the D d'OC's we had, they were all (save one) from producers
I'd never even heard of. In fact, several of these wines only send a few hundred wines to the entire USofA.
I would venture to say that this was probably the greatest tasting of Val d'Aosta wines ever held in the USofA.
A totally unprecented event. And right here in little ole Healdsburg, not NYC or TheCite where hip somms are
the norm. This kind of SS is enough for me to get religion again!!
Vd'A grapes is: (www.vitis-vea.de/admin/volltext/e046571.pdf). It does the DNA analysis on a bunch of these
grapes and the surrounding Savoie/Valais/Piemonte. A rather difficult read. Clearly a grape they should be
planting all up&down the coast of Calif. Prie Rouge is an ofspring of Prie Blanc and an unknown parent.
Calif. Giulio Moriondo has a day job w/ the Agricultural Research University and makes only about 100 cs of wine
on the side, of three Cuvee's.
grapes. Rob Tebeau has some comments: (http://fringewine.blogspot.com/2011/10/ ... italy.html)
the perfumey aromatics of the other reds (robbed by the TCA?) but it was not obviously corked to me and to a lot of
others there as well.
9. Donnaz: One of the least known outposts of Nebbiolo, along w/ Valli d'Ossola. Up to 10% Freisa is allowed to be
blended in. The vnyds here appear to be very heroic viticulture much like in the Valtelline.
13. Alas, the Vd'A is the smallest growing area in Italy and damnably difficult to find. BionDivino in TheCite is one
such source, mostly specializing in natural wines. (https://biondivino.com/). Another good source is Enoteca Vino
Nostro, also in TheCite. (https://www.enotecavinonostro.com). But the Vd'A wines are worth searching out.
Of the reds, most of them had a certain perfume to them that I found very attractive. Not too unlike lighter
DryCreekVlly Zins, but w/ a certain earthy/rustic/dusty character. Fortunately, they were not plagued by a lot of oak.
Though not really big wines, they have a certain delicate/high-toned character that I would call "pretty".
As for their ageibility...haven't a clue.
Tom
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: Idlewild Sunday School: Val d'Aosta..(long/boring)

by Mark S » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:09 pm

TomHill wrote:5. Institut Agricole Regional Cornalin Dd'OC: Vallee d'Aoste(13.5%) 2016: Med.light color; very fragrant/perfumed
raspberry/bit Zin-like light earthy/loamy quite attractive aromatic nose; rather tart bright/spicy/raspberry/
Zin-like light earthy/loamy slight mineral/stony flavor w/ light tangy tannins; very long bright/spicy/raspberry/
Zin-like/bit peppery light earthy/loamy/stony very pretty finish w/ light tannins; a very pretty rather Zin-like

I've had a couple of vintages of these before, but don't think I ever would have said zinfandel. They taste northerly if not necessarily alpine: Loireish, Aoste, gamay from weird areas (Souhaut, etc.). I could see Rossesse. Perhaps 2016 is a riper version than I've had.
And aren't you too old for Sunday School??!
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Cornalin..

by TomHill » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:37 pm

Mark S wrote:
TomHill wrote:5. Institut Agricole Regional Cornalin Dd'OC: Vallee d'Aoste(13.5%) 2016: Med.light color; very fragrant/perfumed
raspberry/bit Zin-like light earthy/loamy quite attractive aromatic nose; rather tart bright/spicy/raspberry/
Zin-like light earthy/loamy slight mineral/stony flavor w/ light tangy tannins; very long bright/spicy/raspberry/

I've had a couple of vintages of these before, but don't think I ever would have said zinfandel. They taste northerly if not necessarily alpine: Loireish, Aoste, gamay from weird areas (Souhaut, etc.). I could see Rossesse. Perhaps 2016 is a riper version than I've had.
And aren't you too old for Sunday School??!

It had a brightness & berry character that sorta reminded me, in the nose, of DCV Zin in a lighter style like Nalle.
Not so much on the palate, though. I can certainly see Rossesse in it as well. Which often reminds me of DCV Zin a bit.
You're never too old to get religion, Mark. :roll:
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: Idlewild Sunday School: Val d'Aosta..(long/boring)

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:47 pm

Tom Hill geeky? Who knew? :mrgreen:
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...