The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Onward MalvasiaBianca Skin Frmt '15...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Onward MalvasiaBianca Skin Frmt '15...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:40 pm

Tried this last night w/ my leftovers:
1. Onward MalvasiaBianca CappInnRanch/SuisunVlly (12.8%; tank frmtd/sur lie aged; weed control by wild pigs;
www.OnwardWines.com) FaithArmstrongFoster/Sonoma 2015
: Med.gold/light burnished bronze slightly hazy color; very strong Malvasia/muscatty/cheap hair oil/Vitalis very aromatic light phenolic/resiny slight spicy bit exotic nose; rather tart totally dry strong Malvasia/cheap hair oil/floral/apple blossom some austere/light phenolic/resiny slightly bitter flavor w/ light tannic bite; very long tart dry/austere strong Malvasia/muscatty/floral/cheap hair oil slightly bitter bit phenolic/resiny rather exotic finish w/ light astringent/bitey tannins; a rather austere/dry/bit phenolic Malvasia that should turn into something very interesting w/ age; or maybe not. $20.00
1. This is a wine by Faith Armstrong Foster, who is doing some really interesting things. Onward is her label for single-vnyd wines that are designed to let the vnyd speak. Farmstrong is her label for blended wines. She even puts some of her wines in cans...but they don't fit into my wine rack very well.
2. I'm finding I'm liking a lot of skin-contact whites made from aromatic varieties are really hitting for me. Use of extended skin-contact can destroy/attenuate the varietal character and leave nothing but the phenolic character. But use of aromatic varieties seems to allow the varietal character to also show. With skin-contact whites, it's hard to achive that right balance between varietal character and phenolic character.
Tom