The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: I'll be Zwillin', to be movin'

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: I'll be Zwillin', to be movin'

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:50 am

2017 Bedrock Wine Co. Riesling Zweiter Zweieiiger Zwilling - USA, California, North Coast, Cole Ranch (1/10/2019)
I go into any tasting of American Riesling with a healthy dose of skepticism. This bottle turned that right on its head. From the first sip this was top notch. I spent a couple of hours casting around in my brain for comparisons, but nothing made the perfect fit. The weight of the Bedrock is greater than most German Rieslings, so perhaps leaning towards modern Alsace. The balance of sweetness and acidity had me in the mind of a modern Rhine Kabinett, on the high end of what most producers bottle as Feinherb. The fruit was more Californian. It tended to ripe tree fruit (pear, ripe apple), with only a light overlay of citrus. I would have preferred a touch more acidity, but there was no qualitative issue with the balance.

Putting aside the molecule by molecule breakdown of the wine, I thought it was a very fine Riesling, and I kept having to refill my glass. It was fun to drink!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well...

by TomHill » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:49 am

David M. Bueker wrote:2017 Bedrock Wine Co. Riesling Zweiter Zweieiiger Zwilling - USA, California, North Coast, Cole Ranch (1/10/2019)
I go into any tasting of American Riesling with a healthy dose of skepticism. This bottle turned that right on its head. From the first sip this was top notch. I spent a couple of hours casting around in my brain for comparisons, but nothing made the perfect fit. The weight of the Bedrock is greater than most German Rieslings, so perhaps leaning towards modern Alsace. The balance of sweetness and acidity had me in the mind of a modern Rhine Kabinett, on the high end of what most producers bottle as Feinherb. The fruit was more Californian. It tended to ripe tree fruit (pear, ripe apple), with only a light overlay of citrus. I would have preferred a touch more acidity, but there was no qualitative issue with the balance.

Putting aside the molecule by molecule breakdown of the wine, I thought it was a very fine Riesling, and I kept having to refill my glass. It was fun to drink!

Well, David..I haven't tried my two (dry & sweet) that just came yet. But yours is a pretty good endorsement.
Recently had the WirzVnyd Riesling and very impressed by it.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

Re: WTN: I'll be Zwillin', to be movin'

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:31 am

I have one bottle of the 2017 Wirz Riesling that I will open soon.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:21 pm

Cole Ranch is a really unique spot, I think, and the rieslings I've had from there have always been much more compelling than most every other one from CA. Not surprised that Morgan did something special with those grapes.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:09 pm

I seldom read a note on a Cali Riesling that makes me want to try, thanks for bucking the trend
I'm sure Lowell G would appreciate
What does Zweiter Zweieiiger Zwilling mean (if anything)?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:18 pm

Google translate says "Second two-handed twin"

That can't be right.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Means...

by TomHill » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:54 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Google translate says "Second two-handed twin"

That can't be right.

Zweieiiger Zwilling means “fraternal twins”. Morgan made an Erster a dry .18%) and a Zweiter (3.41 %) which is off-dry. Both were picked same day, same block.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:04 pm

I have some 2012 Smith-Madrone Napa Riesling I have not yet opened. They seem to have an excellent reputation and are said to also age gracefully. Do you guys agree?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:06 pm

Never tried their Riesling.