The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN - The Moreau the merrier?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

TN - The Moreau the merrier?

by John S » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:27 pm

I purposely had these two wines together a few days ago, as I have found that aged muscadet starts tasting a bit like chablis. This experiment seemed to support this idea. Both developed butterscotch notes and still had loads of minerality. I liked both very much, but the muscadet more, as the chablis didn't really have the heft that a grand cru should have.

• 2000 Chereau-Gunther Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Comte de St. Hubert Château du Coing de St. Fiacre - France, Loire Valley, Pays Nantais, Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine (2019-01-13)
    This has aged well. Still youthful, even, with a light straw colour and a nose of minerals and slight rotten fruits (in a good way). Medium to full bodied, with great concentration and intensity, and a slight butterscotch note on the long, glistening finish. Very happy to have one left! (A-)
  • 2005 Domaine Christian Moreau Père et Fils Chablis Grand Cru Valmur - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis Grand Cru (2019-01-13)
    Hazy notes from last night. Well, it wasn’t oxidized, so that’s a win! Light golden in colour, with light popcorn and butterscotch on the nose. More of the same and minerality on the medium bodied palate. Nice, but didn’t really have the concentration or intensity that a grand cru Chablis of this age should have. (A-)
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: TN - The Moreau the merrier?

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:33 pm

Thanks for this. I have a 2012 Hubert in the cellar.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:50 am

No rush to open it, my bottle (and an earlier one) suggests it should last a long time!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:46 am

2005 is not a top Chablis vintage. That being said, I am glad your bottle was sound!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:26 pm

Good title. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov