The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some Bedrock & Carlisle Zins...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some Bedrock & Carlisle Zins...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:08 pm

We tried tonight (1/9/19) Some Bedrock/Carlisle Zins:
1. Bedrock UnderTheMtn Heritage SantaClaraCnty RW (14.0%; Tended: Gregory Family; Zin + Carignan) 2016: Dark
color; strong blackberry/raspberry/very spicy/Zin bit cherry slight earthy/dusty/OV rather bright nose;
quite tart strong raspberry/blackberry/Zin/very spicy rather tangy/bit steely slight earthy flavor w/
ample tangy tannins; very long rather lean/angular/tart quite spicy/raspberry/Zin bit earthy/dusty/OV
slight cherry finish w/ some tangy/sharp tannins; a rather lean/angular bright/high-toned/very spicy Zin;
reminds some of the old LimeKiln or Enz Zins but not as rich/lush; very spicy Zin that needs some age.
$39.00
OV/bit earthy bit complex flavor w/ modest rough tannins; very long/lingering strong blackberry/mtn Zin/
rugged/classic MtVeeder spicy light toasty/oak rather dusty/OV finish w/ some rough tannins; a classiv
MtnZin w/ classic MtVeeder spiciness; a fairly rugged bit rustic Zin; reminds lots of the old MikeBernstein
MtVeederWnry Zins, a bit of the Franus Brandlin Zin, slightly of the old Ridge HowellMtn Zins; quite a
good rugged mtn Zin. $39.00
oak quite aromatic lovely nose; fairly tart/tangy very spicy/raspberry/blackberry/Zin some dusty/OV light
oak flavor w/ modest tangy tannins; very long/lingering raspberry/blackberry/Zin/very spicy lightly oak
dusty/OV finish w/ some tangy tannins; more like a DryCreekVlly Zin than RRV; a rather high-toned Zin for
Bedrock. $45.00
aromatic nose; bit softer lithe/bright raspberry/blackberry/Zin/some spicy light oak flavor w/ light gentle
tannins; very long/lingering strong blackberry/raspberry/Zin/somewhat spicy light toasty/oak finish w/ light
smooth tannins; also on the lighter side for a Carlisle Zin but not quite as bright/high-toned as the Bedrock.
$44.75
quite aromatic lovely nose; lightly tart very bright/perfumed/raspberry/blackberry/Zin/very spicy slight hot/
alcoholic some toasty/oak flavor w/ light tangy tannins; very long/lingering bright/zippy/raspberry/blackberry/
spicy/Zin some oak finish w/ light sharp tannins; lots of bright raspberry fruit and a bit atypical of Carlisle
Zin; alcohol shows a bit but not at all overripe; quite a pretty Carlisle Zin. $39.00
slight home perm light toasty/oak beautiful nose; lightly tart rather rich/lush very perfumed very strong
blackberry/Zin/very spicy/bit peppery very balanced light toasty/oak some dusty/OV rather exotic/complex flavor
w/ light smooth/ripe tannins; very long/lingering slightly tart strong blackberry/Zin/very spicy/slight peppery
light toasty/oak rich/lush/round complex finish w/ light smooth tannins; very perfumed and an exotic expression
of RRV Zin w/o the ripe boysenberry character that the Carlisle/Carlisles show; beautiful OV Zin. $39.50
spicy classic RRV Zin quite dusty/OV some pencilly/toasty/oak quite aromatic some complex nose; soft quite
dusty/OV very strong blackberry/boysenberry/classic RRV Zin/slight peppery light pencilly/oak bit complex flavor
w/ modest smooth/ripe tannins; very long/lingering rather dusty/OV very strong blackberry/boysenberry/ripe/slight
peppery light pencilly/oak finish w/ some ripe tannins; a classic RRV Zin w/ a bit more fruit & a bit less oak
than the '15; beautiful Carlisle Zin. $45.20
RRV Zin/very spicy/bit peppery some pencilly/oak some dusty/OV slight low-tide ocean marshland/saline bit complex
lovely nose; soft very rich/lush very strong blackberry/Zin/boysenberry/very spicy/slight peppery quite dusty/OV
some pencilly/oak smoth/mouthfilling bit complex flavor w/ some ripe/smooth tannins; very long/lingering very
strong blackberry/RRV Zin/very spicy/boysenberry/ripe slight peppery, some pencilly/oak bit complex finish w/
light smooth tannins; another classic beautiful RRV Zin; bit less fruit, bit more oak, bit more complex than
the '16; terrific Zin. $45.20
Zin/spicy light toasty/oak very aromatic bit complex nose; soft very rich/lush very strong blackberry/boysenberry/
ripe/spicy/classic RRV Zin bit dusty/OV flavor light toasty/oak bit complex flavor w/ modest soft/ripe tannins;
very long/lingering very strong blackberry/boysenberry/very spicy/classic RRV Zin light toasty/oak fairly dusty/OV
somewhat complex finish w/ light soft/ripe tannins; very aromatic and a classic RRV Zin; terrific Zin that should
go another 4-6 yrs. $44.50
muted. Still a lovely classic RRV Zin. $44.75
Montafis w/ loads of blackberry/boysenberry fruit. Very perfumed & aromatic w/ more lush/intense Zin fruit.
Tannins seem a bit stronger but still fairly soft & ripe. Should easily go another 5-8 yrs; a beautiful classic
RRV Zin. $39.00
__________________________________________________________________________________________
More nisslecrot from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. New Bedrocks: The UnderTheMtn and the Sky are two new Zins in Morgan's portfolio. They are both quite good
additions to the Bedrock portfolio. I slightly liked the Sky better than the UnderTheMtn because of its rugged
mtn character. The Sky vnyd is farmed by LoreOlds who makes wine under the Sky label. Wasn't aware that he ever
sold his grapes to other wineries.
which are more about power and extract.
showing an early receeding hairline, that poured me his (not sure what vnyd it came from). I was shocked. I told him
(the nametag said MikeOfficer) that his Ho-Made Zin was better than 90% of the Zins out there on te floor. A few
yrs later, I visited him at his home in SantaRosa, where he was still making wine in his garage. And, as they say,
the rest is history.
Mike's winemaking style has changed some over the yrs I've followed him. Though they're pretty big Zins, they
seem to show less oak and less power/extraction than they used to...maybe more expressive of the vnyd source. Though
they are often above 15% alcohol; they seldom show the alcohol & heat of others. Back in the days of the late '70's,
afore the crash of the Zin market and the advent of "food wine" Zins, Zins over 15% often showed a late-harvesty/
overripe/pruney character. I almost never get those in Mike's Zins. Great Zins from great OV vnyds.
less high-toned character than the Carlisle vnyd Zins. Maybe not as strongly aromatic as Carlisle.
Tom
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Some Bedrock & Carlisle Zins...(long/boring)

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:45 pm

The sheer breadth of the Bedrock portfolio makes me a but crazy (I'm not on the Carlisle list.I only pick up a few from a friend here and there). In trying to not have an explosion in my cellar I have identifier a few wines that I want to follow, and will only buy those going forward. Beyond that, there is little harm in grabbing things where I have only been allocated a single bottle. Those wines tend to land in tastings.
Decisions are made by those who show up