The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: straight through my heart

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

rainer.volz

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:05 pm

WTN: straight through my heart

by rainer.volz » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:10 pm

2017 Marie-Bernard Gillioz Syrah St. Leonard, Valais (Switzerland)
Can you explain why sometimes a specific wine goes straight through your heart?
This one is shy on the nose with a hint of fresh raspberries, dark chocolate, rooibos tea, sea salt ..
But it makes you an addict as soon as it touches your tongue: there's juicy, luscious, innocent raspberry and pomegranate fruit wrapped by a delicate coat of sea salt, black pepper and rosemary. Once you retaste it you think to discover fresh blood, lamb meat and sweet figs in addition. Such a combination of cool alpine fruit and salty minerality is just so delicious and irresistible. In this wine there's not the slightest hint of winemaking (wooden notes etc.) - just pure vibrant nature, clearly watermarked as from Valais origin. This is one of those wines you love to enjoy all night without being bored a single moment. One of the most authentic Syrah I have ever tasted from Switzerland. My subjective rating: 93+/100.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: straight through my heart

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:50 pm

You can't explain it. You just have to sit back and enjoy it.

I had that experience with a bottle of Nigl a few months ago. It's a privilege.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

rainer.volz

Rank

Wine geek

by rainer.volz » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:10 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:You can't explain it. You just have to sit back and enjoy it.

I had that experience with a bottle of Nigl a few months ago. It's a privilege.

Yes, it's a privilege indeed, and maybe a perspective to trancendence ..
no avatar
User

David from Switzerland

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:03 am

by David from Switzerland » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:12 pm

rainer.volz wrote:2017 Marie-Bernard Gillioz Syrah St. Leonard, Valais (Switzerland)
This one is shy on the nose with a hint of fresh raspberries, dark chocolate, rooibos tea, sea salt ..
But it makes you an addict as soon as it touches your tongue: there's juicy, luscious, innocent raspberry and pomegranate fruit wrapped by a delicate coat of sea salt, black pepper and rosemary. Once you retaste it you think to discover fresh blood, lamb meat and sweet figs in addition. Such a combination of cool alpine fruit and salty minerality is just so delicious and irresistible. In this wine there's not the slightest hint of winemaking (wooden notes etc.) - just pure vibrant nature, clearly watermarked as from Valais origin. This is one of those wines you love to enjoy all night without being bored a single moment. One of the most authentic Syrah I have ever tasted from Switzerland. My subjective rating: 93+/100.

Nice! I don't think I even know this one?

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:17 pm

rainer.volz wrote:2017 Marie-Bernard Gillioz Syrah St. Leonard, Valais (Switzerland)

I know the feeling too--wish we experienced it more often. I'm extremely impressed that you got this rush from a Swiss syrah, I'm guessing that there aren't many made there.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

rainer.volz

Rank

Wine geek

by rainer.volz » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:36 pm

Jenise wrote:

I know the feeling too--wish we experienced it more often. I'm extremely impressed that you got this rush from a Swiss syrah, I'm guessing that there aren't many made there.

Yes, this wine is from a small estate with a tiny production. Overall there are many Syrah produced in the canton of Valais, but most of them are designed to please the average (= inexperienced) consumer.
no avatar
User

rainer.volz

Rank

Wine geek

by rainer.volz » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:40 pm

David from Switzerland wrote:

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

I've got the recommendation from a really experienced sommelier. I'll bring over a bottle at my next visit. You'll love it.
no avatar
User

David from Switzerland

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:03 am

by David from Switzerland » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:54 pm

rainer.volz wrote:
David from Switzerland wrote:

I've got the recommendation from a really experienced sommelier. I'll bring over a bottle at my next visit. You'll love it.

Looking forward, thanks!

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Good to see you both again. We missed you!

David, I still regularly listen to those wonderful CDs you sent to me.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

rainer.volz

Rank

Wine geek

by rainer.volz » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:47 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Good to see you both again. We missed you!

David, I still regularly listen to those wonderful CDs you sent to me.

Me too, I listen to CDs recommended by David almost every day on my way to work ;-)