The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bubbles, Burgs and a Single Quinta Port

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Bubbles, Burgs and a Single Quinta Port

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:14 pm

Notes from a wine lunch:

First, with nibbles:

2014 Quinta da Murta – this Bucelas bubble is made from the Portuguese varietal Arinto, and the winery is near Lisbon. I think that they do themselves a disservice by touting the wine as ‘The Wine of Shakespeare’ based on a mention in Henry VI. It makes it seem a cheap shot at advertising fame when the wine can stand on its own as a very good bubble. Hint of oak, decent fruit and a ‘Champagne junior’ presentation that makes it good value. The advertising puffery may make knowledgeable wine drinkers avoid it, assuming that it isn’t an attention worthy wine, though it might attract the less sophisticated buyers.

De Chanceny Cremant de Loire (nv) – this 100% cab franc rose was very pleasant, with a bread and strawberry nose, balanced in the mouth and medium length. Very decent.

With an aubergine charlotte:

Louis Bouillot Cremant de Bourgogne (nv) – made by a Burgundy producer in Nuits St. George from Pint Noir, this pink bubble also showed strawberry notes, a very nice balance and medium length. Good value.

With a main course of juniper flavoured pork pie, I served three Burgundies, blind.

1996 Arnaud Chopin & Fils Chambolle-Musigny – I know – a long time to hold modest village wines in my cellar, but it turned out that they had held up very well. Funky Burgundian nose on this one, and the wine was sweet, smooth and medium long. Got lucky on the ageing, especially for Chambolle.

1996 Arnaud Chopin & Fils Nuits-Saint-Georges – another village wine with more fruit and less funk in the nose, and some nice spiciness on palate. Drak perfectly now.

1995 Arnaud Chopin & Fils Nuits-Saint-Georges aux Murgers 1er cru – clearly the best fruit in the nose and the darkest colour. More stuffing, spicy soft tannins and very good concentration. Much better than I had expected and no rush.

1987 Cockburn’s Quinta do Tua Vintage Port – few vintage Ports made in this vintage and only a few single quintas. This one was the only single quinta release Cockburn’s made from this property, and it was done to celebrate the 175th anniversary of the house. The wine had quite good colour, wasn’t too warm in the nose and was spicy medium sweet on palate, an excellent middle weight Port that has now come around nicely. Very tasty. I last tasted this when I opened a bottle eight years ago. The wine has come into prime time now and should remain enjoyable for some time. It never got much review press and it probably flies under the notice of many, so keep an eye out for it on the auctions.