The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wrong Jadot, CFE, Enfield, Cotat, Limerick, Goisses etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Wrong Jadot, CFE, Enfield, Cotat, Limerick, Goisses etc

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:03 pm

Friday I made pork shoulder and Rancho Gordo yellow Indian woman beans in pressure cooker, with sauteed arugula and the 2014 Limerick Lane Zinfandel(Russian River Valley). Good acids for zin, just a hint of heat, red plums with a little herb. B

Snowstorm turned out not to be much, but neighbors came for dinner. They brought the appetizers- smoked salmon canapes and stuffed mushrooms. I opened the 2005 Andre Beaufort Brut Millesime Grand Cru Champagne and poured for all, but one sniff of my glass and I told everyone “stop,” I don’t think I’ve ever run across a Champagne as vilely corked as this one. Down to cellar (luckily pretty cold this time of year). First Champagne I came to was
the 2005 Philipponnat Clos Des Goisses. OK, time for an upgrade. Biscuits and herb on nose, sweet peaches and apple on palate. Full, apparently a fairly high dosage, long. Quite tasty but maybe not the minerality I’d expect from Goisses. B+

First sitdown course was pan roasted baby artichokes with a spicy curry yogurt sauce. Difficult pairing, so I poured 2 wines to experiment. The Cotat got a little bit of that metallic twang with the artichokes, not awful but distracting. The Trimbach however disappeared. Really. At the same moment as Betsy said" it tastes like nothing" I said "it tastes like water" . It was like the artichokes (or the curry? I think the chokes) stripped away all flavor from the Riesling. Never experienced that before.
Both wines showed great on their own:

2007 Francois Cotat “les Culs de Beaujeu” Sancerre
Grapefruit, lemon zest, a little waxy note. Deep and full, with a long Chavignol minerally finish. Drinking perfectly. A-

2007 Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling
Quite young, no petrol yet, citrus and rocks. Totally dry, crisp. Long. A-/B+

2014 Krüger-Rumpf Schiefer Riesling Feinherb

(not with the artichokes) A little sweeter than I expect from Feinherb, but well-balanced in a light bodied package. Good value ($10). B

Main course was duck legs with mustard and panko, with cauliflower puree and sauteed spinach. Our friends like wine, have a cellar, but I wouldn’t call geeky. But I decided to pair a Burgundy (for me) and a wine I knew the husband liked. For the Burg I decided on the 1990 Jadot Corton-Pougets. I had grabbed a bottle Friday when Betsy told me menu, brought upstairs, it sat on cabinet for 24 hours. I opened just before arrival but didn’t decant. And then I went to pour with duck, and finally actually looked at label instead just neck label. Oops. I had actually opened the Ruchottes-Chambertin!

1990 Jadot Ruchottes-Chambertin
Ripe but not roasted, black cherries and plums, some coffee and smoke. Holds up well for several hours, with some sandalwood with time. A-/B+

2001 Havens Bourrriquot
Ripe, black fruits and espresso, holding on but drink up. B
(but friend loved)

Fun night with good friends, just with the Goisses and the Ruchottes it was a bit spendier than I planned!

Sunday skate schnitzel with a caper/lemon sauce, broccoli with a bagna cauda sauce, & rice

2014 Enfield Citrine Chardonnay
12.5% , good acidity, with producer’s rep I’m a little surprised by some apparent oak, nice Meyer lemon and pear fruit. The oak just surprised, didn’t detract. B+/B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Last edited by Dale Williams on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Wrong Jadot, CFE, Enfield, Cotat, Limerick, Goisses

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:52 pm

Color me surprised that you would even own a Limerick Lane wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:12 pm

I didn';t actually buy it.:)
Someone was attending a mature Graves dinner last month, didn't have anything that fit. I supplied a '78 DDC and told him to give me "something interesting, maybe a 'New American' wine or an offbeat Italian." Gave me this and an Etna.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:31 pm

Krüger-Rumpf...good solid producer for anyone who wants to explore German riesling.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:26 pm

Re artichoke pairing, with a bunch of geeks I once served artichokes and a number of different whites just to see which was the least objectionable in this famously difficult match. One wine actually worked VERY well--a cheap oaky California chardonnay. If you can stomach the idea of drinking such a thing, artichokes love oak.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov