The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pecota Passito MuscatCanelli '93...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Pecota Passito MuscatCanelli '93...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:48 pm

Tried this dessert wine last night:
1. RobertPecotaWnry Passito MuscatCanelli NapaVlly (15%; RS: 15%; #299 of 750) Calistoga 1993: Deep golden/burnished bronze bit oloroso sherry color; very intense muscatty/orangey/very grapey/passito rather cedary/pencilly some complex beautiful nose; soft very sweet very grapey/passito/low-key muscatty rather orangey/bit orange muscat some complex flavor; very long/lingering soft very intense muscatty/grapey/orangey/passito light pencilly complex finish; a beautiful passito muscat in sort of suspended animation; as good as any old Moscato di Pantelleria I've had; should still be delicious in 20-40 yrs. $21.00/hlf (K/SF)
I've long maintained that they should be doing more passito wines in Calif. It's nothing particularly difficult to make. They can be intensely sweet and are great dessert wines. And they age forever. If that's a plus?
That said, I've not had a great deal of success in ageing passito wines. Old ones seem to be in a stage of suspended animation. The "last" forever but never seem to "develop" the complexity you find in an old German Auslese or Sauternes.
This Pecota is better than any old Quady Essensia or Elysium that I've had. Given that the Quady is of a different genre...a ratafia like Pineau des Charentes and not a passito.
Eiswein or freezer ice wine is another genre that I've not had much success w/ ageing into anything particularly interesting.
Nonetheless, I continue to buy passito wines and enjoy them whilst they're young. But I've sorta given up on them making old bones.
Tom