The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two Whites from rootdown....(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Two Whites from rootdown....(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:05 am

Tried these two new wines over the last few days:
1. rootdown PinotBlanc RivinRanch/MendoCnty (12.3%; 22nd root; www.RootDownWineCellars.com) 2017: Med.light gold color; strong appley/PB/slight pear slight spicy/cardamon very light pencilly/oak slight earthy attractive nose; quite tart bit lean some appley/PB/pear lithe/bright/wirey slight earthy light pencilly flavor; very long bright applee/pear/PB slight honeydew bit metallic/tangy/earthy finish; a restrained bright apple/pear PB that reminds a lot of a good Sudtirol PB or a Steirmark PB but not quite as earthy & rustic; quite a pretty expression of PB. $29.00
2. rootdown GrenacheBlanc RedwoodGlenVnyd/RRV (13.8%; 6th root) 2017: Med.dark gold color; lovely floral/GB/honeysuckle/honeyed light spicy/nutmeg very fragrant/perfumed nose; lightly tart/tangy fairly strong GB/bit floral/carnations/honeysuckle/spicy balanced/bright/lithe lovely flavor; very long/lingering bit tangy bright/GB/floral/carnations/honeysuckle rather spicy/bit nutmeg quite attractive finish; a restrained precise expression of GB far away from DollyParton territory; this is how BobLindquist would make GB if he could; quite a lovely expression of GB. $29.00
1. rootdown: This is a new wnry (to me, anyway) run by Mike Lucia. I met Mike at the December Val d'Aosta Idlewild SundaySchool. Took a look at his WebSite, looked interesting to me what he was doing, so ordered a few to try. Background includes stints at DeLoach/Goldeneye/and Copain. His focus is much like Copain...wines of restraint that express the origins of the grapes, sourced from a variety of different vnyds. Alas, the Sangio and the Carbonic Trousseau were sold out. He makes Chenin from HeringerVnyd in Clarksburg. I'd love to see what he could do with the Teroldego from that vnyd.
I really liked these two whites a lot. Balanced/restrained quite pretty just good-drinkin' whites. Sometimes that's all you want from the glass in front of you.
Tom