The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wieninger Riesling ViennaHills '16...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Wieninger Riesling ViennaHills '16...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:50 am

Just tried this last night:
1. Wieninger Riesling ViennaHills Wiener Wein (12.5%; Q/Trocken; www.WineBow.com; www.wieninger.at/en/) Weingut Wieninger/Wien 2016: Med.gold color; strong Mosel valve oil/gout de petrol/flinty/Mosel-like very strong floral/R/mango/pineapple slight metallic/steely fairly complex beautiful nose; quite tart/tangy strong R/mango/pineapple/floral some Mosel valve oil/gout de petrol/flinty/steely complex flavor; very long/lingering strong R/pineapple/mango/floral light Mosel valve oil/petrol/slight pungent finish; an absolutely beautiful R as good as any from the Wachau; should go out 10+ yrs and beyond; a steal at this price. $24.00 (AV)
1. The Wieninger weins just showed up here in NM a few months ago. I tried the Riesling '15 and found it a compelling Riesling w/ loads of Mosel valve oil character. The GemitscherSatz '15 I was less impressed with...good..but just that.
I asked ArroyoVino to order more and it was the '16 that showed up instead. But I went ahead & bought 4, anyway. Going back for more.
I was quite taken by this wine for its scintillating/ laser-sharp/crystalline clarity of Riesling fruit. Not as rich & lush & profound as some Wachau R; but a beautiful-drinking R. A terrific wine at a great price.
Fritz Wieninger has two vnyds: Nussberg (just south of Klosterneuburg on the west side of the Danube) and Bisamberg (just across the Danube from Klosterneuburg). Both are farmed Biodynamically. This is more or less his basic wine. He also makes some site-specific wines that I'd love to try. He was also responsible for the renewal in interest of GemischerSatz from the ViennaHills. I am impressed.
Tom