The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

BTN: Pliny the Younger '19

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

BTN: Pliny the Younger '19

by John Treder » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:15 pm

I was downtown at B&N this afternoon and noticed that the line at Russian River Brewery was pretty short. On a whim, I joined it. It only took about half an hour to get in, and as a solo, I was seated at the bar. So Pliny the Younger it was.
A very nice IPA. Citruis and something peppery, plus the traditional hops flavor. Lighter than the Pliny the Elder I've had in the past. Very good beer. Smooth enough to want more.
So I enjoyed 2 glasses (the limit is 3) and a good conversation with the lady next to me, and staggered on home.
20 oz of 10.25% alcohol is a whole lot for me.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

matthew.vallarino

Rank

Just got here

Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:19 pm

Re: BTN: Pliny the Younger '19

by matthew.vallarino » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:36 pm

Hello,

I've just logged in to this forum for the first time so excuse my lack of etiquette.

It's Beer Week in Oakland and the lines for beer are very short. No issue with the long waits to have a pint of PtY.

IMSO, I don't find this beer spectacular and struggle to find a use for it. In general, I find that IPAs with high ABV a little fatiguing since they are rather too hoppy to be a quaffable winter beer and too alcoholic to be a food-friendly beverage. I'd simply prefer to have a 6oz-pour as an aperitif and move to something else.

That said, I find it well made. There is good balance and the hop selection was very fresh and in good equilibrium.

Also, all this buzz for a >10% ABV beer that's served in 20oz-glasswear and then you are limited to the quantity you can order, seems a bit illogical. But then again, that's what craft beer seems to have become, illlogical.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:33 pm

Cult everything is illogical.

Small production, expensive wines that get served in glasses the size of a basketball.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:32 pm

Welcome, Matthew!
I've lived within walking distance of Russian River and a few other breweries here in Santa Rosa for 9 years now. Yesterday was the first time I saw an opportunity to taste Pliny the Younger, just to see what it was all about.
So I found out, and walked home with a bit of a buzz.
It's good beer, but like you, I can't quite see what all the hype is about. I like two or three of their other beers better.
But then I'm mostly a wino anyway. :P
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:08 pm

The Screagle of the beer world?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:52 pm

Paul, That's another thing I haven't tasted. At least the beer isn't all that costly. $5.50 for 10 ounces. About the same as much worse beer on an airplane.
John in the wine county