The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Gruaud Sassicaia Gloria La Pointe St Cosme Warres

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Gruaud Sassicaia Gloria La Pointe St Cosme Warres

by Bill Spohn » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:46 pm

Blind tasting notes. Theme was old world, old wines.

1996 Fleury Brut – this champagne had lots of colour, a decent mousse, and was tasty if obviously quite old and mature with low fruit levels.

1982 Wegeler-Deinhard Bernkasteler Bratenhöfchen Riesling Auslese – what a strange wine! Very odd musty nose with oily petrol notes that faded a little with time. Some fruit but not enough. This wasn’t just old (and many Rieslings hold up well at this age), it was bizarre!

1971 Ch.Gruaud Larose – Burgundian colour and a lovely slightly green claret nose, elegant and still interesting although clearly getting on. Good show for a 1971.

1983 Sassicaia –medium light colour, some spice and fruit in the nose, medium body, decent flavour intensity and it opened up nicely. Tannins are all but gone but this rides along on acidity and was quite nice.

1994 Sassicaia – another nice showing. Very good cabernet nose, with plummy dark fruit and herb, still lots of soft tannin and good length, finishing with good length.

1970 Ch. Gloria – as always, this vintage showed as being much younger, with good colour, a slightly ripe dusty waxy nose and some herbal notes coming in part way through. Good length. Remains very drinkable.

1983 Ch. Kirwan – also mid dark colour and with slightly rubbery notes in the otherwise alright nose, but fded fruit on palate made it an also ran.

1995 Couly-Dutheil Chinon La Baronnie Madeleine – mid red, with clear edges, burnt earthy nose with green cab franc notes and tons of acidity. Not an endearing wine.

1995 Ch. La Pointe (Pomerol) – this was better – another fairly dark wine and again, with some good bright fruit and tobacco in the nose, and quite rich in the mouth with a slightly low acid finish.

1997 Ch. St. Cosme Gigondas – my back up. Notable amounts of black pepper in this nose and some menthol, still some soft tannin on palate and sufficient fruit, and a good length. Hanging in there!

1983 Warres Port – dark but with garnet edges, a figgy ripe nose, with some heat, and very nice dried apricot and cardamom notes on palate. Good length still a tad warm to the end
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Gruaud Sassicaia Gloria La Pointe St Cosme Warres

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:17 pm

1971 Bordeaux offers a lot of surprises. I have had several different good ones, notably Petrus (duh!).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:20 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:1971 Bordeaux offers a lot of surprises. I have had several different good ones, notably Petrus (duh!).

I have heard reports that say the 71 Petrus is better than the 70, though sadly I've not had the chance to taste them both at the same time.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:03 pm

I have. The 1970 is better by a pretty substantial margin.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:17 pm

I've never had '70 or '71 Petrus, but '71 was pretty damn good in Pomerol, several are as good or better to my tastes as their 70 counterparts (Trotanoy). Also very good in Graves. I think Medoc is spottier, glad the Gruaud showed well