The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Director Skinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Director Skinner

by David M. Bueker » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:52 pm

2014 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvedre Skinner Stoney Creek Vineyard - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, El Dorado County (2/22/2019)
It is hard to believe that it's been about two and a half years since I last had this D&R bottling. In 2016 I said it had me in the mind of Bandol. My very first sip last night did the exact same thing. I said (out loud), that if Hardy Wallace was making Domaine Tempier, it might taste like the Stoney Creek. Dark cherry fruit, leather, earth tones, some wild herbs, it was all there. It was just on a lighter frame. The structure was a little light for being Bandol-esque, but that just made it easier to drink. I still have one bottle left, and may leave it for a number of years, just to see what evolves. Fascinating stuff.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Director Skinner

by Jenise » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:08 pm

David M. Bueker wrote: Dark cherry fruit, leather, earth tones, some wild herbs, it was all there. It was just on a lighter frame. The structure was a little light for being Bandol-esque, but that just made it easier to drink. I still have one bottle left, and may leave it for a number of years, just to see what evolves. Fascinating stuff.

Such was the first American mourvedre I ever had, a Swan. Don't recall the vintage, but it's lighter-ness was not just tolerable, it was the magic. And as the wines aged, they got more peppery. Really special.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov