The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Very, Very brief tasting notes. Friday Night wine party

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Very, Very brief tasting notes. Friday Night wine party

by Brian K Miller » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:06 am

A good time was had by all. No detaiuled notes-just basic impressions. Wines opened about two hours in the bottle. Cafaro decanted.

1991 Cafaro Cabernet Sauvignon-Was this wine cooked? Definitely raisin notes on the nose and crumbly, soaked cork. But-flavors were nice secondary, with savory, earthy goodness. Yum, ***???

2000 Chateau Bel Air Haut Medoc Cru Bourgeois; Fantastic QPR-nice earthy, savory Bordeaux character. Lovely nose and color. ***! $11.99!!!!

2000 Cabreo Borgo Sangiovese/Cab Blend. Toscano. I am really liking the "lesser known" Italian cab/sangio wines I am drinking lately. These are not the famous, pricey wines. Very black in the glass. Smooth. Leather notes, with some nice savory elements. Black current fruit. A lot of sediment. Solid ***+ WOTN for me!.

Hess Collection 1999 Cab Sauivignon. Many people raved about this one, and I've enjoyed it before. More red fruit, with nice savory finish. Wasn't showing as strongly tonight, but still quite enjoyable. **1/2

Luca 1999 Cabernet Sauvignon. Quite controversial wine-with some loving it and others disliking it. Distinct green bell pepper nose. Black fruit and more green pepper or mint on the palette, with quite nice savory notes. I just can't rate this one-very "unique". :?

Broman 2001 Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon. My other wotn-with many people loving it but some not. Dark, thick black fruit, some savory notes. An intriguing chocolate fudge finish that was controversial. ***1/2

Jessup Cellars Yountville Cabernet Sauvignon 2000. Somewhat dark and rich with a pronounced earth and vegetable note. Not sure about this one **.

Hanna Bismark Ranch Noir 2001. Showed much better toinight than at the winery. Thick, viscuous, nice black and red fruit with pronounced savory notes again. (I seem to choose wines with the lovely umami holy grail). The caramel oak that marred the wine at the winery has become much better integrated. Still, at 14.9%, this wine as quite "hot" despite the powerful fruit and seconday notes. ** 1/2

Clos Du Val Oak Vineyard 2002. Drunkl way, way too young. What a mistake. Not bad at all, just quite closed down and frankly not very memorable. I should have waited! *1/2
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach