The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dirty Tricks

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Dirty Tricks

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:26 am

2010 Château de Pibarnon Bandol - France, Provence, Bandol (3/13/2019)
I played a dirty trick on my blind tasting group with this wine. About 3 hours prior to the tasting, I decanted two halves of the magnum into two identical decanters, and placed them side-by-side in the same flight. The comments were all over the place. Some said - same wine, different vintages - "wine two is clearly older", "wine one is much more tannic", while others thought same producer, two different vineyards. I was having a very hard time keeping a straight face.

Overall the wine showed very well, with some brooding black fruit, loamy earth tones, herbal elements, and just a hint of funk. Moderate tannins in balance with the fruit, so good aging potential, but not so harsh as to preclude pleasure now. I really enjoyed drinking it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Dirty Tricks

by Rahsaan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:58 am

David M. Bueker wrote:The comments were all over the place. Some said - same wine, different vintages - "wine two is clearly older", "wine one is much more tannic", while others thought same producer, two different vineyards. I was having a very hard time keeping a straight face.

Yes, that does seem like quite the trick!

But, presumably you don't think your tasting group colleagues were 'incorrectly' diagnosing the wine in their glasses? I would say it just shows how wines can show very differently from glass to glass. And why it takes so much drinking to get an 'accurate' read!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:06 am

No, I thought they were doing very well. They were trying to spot a difference, and it caused them to explore possibilities.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:06 am

I have done something like this in the past, lotsa fun!