The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: An old jug of Hofer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

WTN: An old jug of Hofer

by wnissen » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:58 am

• 2015 Bio-Weingut H. u. M. Hofer Grüner Veltliner - Austria, Niederösterreich, Weinviertel (3/16/2019)
    You wouldn't think a bargain wine in a crown cap would be improving with age, but it clearly is. Taking on a bit of golden color, the bracing acidity and grassy grüner is still there, but there's a waxy flavor building as well. Great length, incredible value, maybe the single best value in wine. Excellent.
Posted from CellarTracker

Not sure what it is about this wine that causes it to improve. Plenty of highly aromatic wines are great in their youth, like sauvignon blanc, muscat, and vermintino, but I typically find that freshness is important with them. Grüner seems to age effortlessly.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: An old jug of Hofer

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:13 pm

Gruner has more depth than a lot of aromatic whites.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:00 pm

'Old' is probably a bit of a stretch to describe this one, but glad that you have seen some nice evolution over the past few years. Still, I'm guessing you wouldn't hold out much longer on any remaining bottles.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:44 pm

Rahsaan wrote:'Old' is probably a bit of a stretch to describe this one, but glad that you have seen some nice evolution over the past few years. Still, I'm guessing you wouldn't hold out much longer on any remaining bottles.

Sorry, I should have noted this was in my garage, not the normal storage, so it was exposed to temperatures well in excess of even a store shelf. So it's not old chronologically, but maybe old before its time.

I should try some more gruners!
Walter Nissen