The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Hans & Franz

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Hans & Franz

by David M. Bueker » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:30 pm

2013 Franz Hirtzberger Grüner Veltliner Smaragd Honivogl - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau (3/16/2019)
Wow. Just wow. This is so good. Full of peach and pear fruit, bits of lime and cress underneath, and amazing palate density, this wine manages to be full bodied and yet lithe at the same time. The balance is spot on, so it magically disappears from the glass. Stunning Grüner Veltliner, that stands at the top of the heap for the variety. I am sure it has tons of time to go, but please drink one soon if you have it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Hans & Franz

by Rahsaan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:59 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2013 Franz Hirtzberger Grüner Veltliner Smaragd Honivogl - Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau (3/16/2019)
Wow. Just wow. This is so good. Full of peach and pear fruit, bits of lime and cress underneath, and amazing palate density, this wine manages to be full bodied and yet lithe at the same time..

Sounds great. That magic balance of flavor and elegance is such a treat.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:32 am

Your title sounds like you got your hands on my short list of possible names for my new Audi. Add Otto and Dieter, and you're there. :)

The wine sounds wonderful. Great gruners are transformational, and I envy you this one.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:24 am

Jenise wrote:Your title sounds like you got your hands on my short list of possible names for my new Audi. Add Otto and Dieter, and you're there. :)

Zis is zee time on zee WLDG ven vee dance!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:27 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
Jenise wrote:Your title sounds like you got your hands on my short list of possible names for my new Audi. Add Otto and Dieter, and you're there. :)

Zis is zee time on zee WLDG ven vee dance!

At least you got it! Bob has zero recollection of ever having heard the name before.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:08 am

I will never forget it, as I saw it for real on my trip to Germany in 2003. We went into a tourist information center in the Rheinhessen, and came face to face with a Dieter clone. Tall, skinny, black sweater, black pants, eminently bored...he never actually turned his body towards us. He just moved his head to the side whenever he spoke to us. At one point he said in a painfully slow tone, "you are Americans...I have been to New York City" and turned away.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:51 pm

That's hilarious. After responding to you I went to YouTube to look at a few Sprockets clips. I laughed a lot, but like your story above realized none of this would make Bob want to name his car after that character. :) I think Otto's going to win.