The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 9 bottles of Cos (8 red, 1 white)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 9 bottles of Cos (8 red, 1 white)

by Dale Williams » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:46 pm

6 of our Bdx group regulars and 2 guests met at Bobby Van’s for a Cos d’Estournel vertical Tues night Nice group, I enjoyed my crab cakes and ribeye( and B-sprouts, fries, hash browns, missed out on the spinach) as well as the company.

1995 Charles Heidsieck “Blanc de Millenaires” Champagne
Apple, peach and croissant, lively, good length, high dosage. B+/A-

2014 Cos d’Estournel Blanc
My first time tasting this. Pear, grapefruit and oak, flavor profile like an oaked Loire, but without the snap. Think a rounder Dagueneau. Perfectly pleasant, but poor QPR. But really fun to try. B-/B

The reds
1982 Ch. Cos d’Estournel
I think others liked a lot more than I did. Some leathery brett, dark fruits, more advanced than most 82 classed growths I’ve had recently. B

1985 Ch. Cos d’Estournel
This is about as close to elegant as you’re going to get with Cos. Red cherry, tobacco, a little lead pencil. Full and powerful but with balance. B+/A-

1986 Ch. Cos d’Estournel

Fresh cassis fruit, powerful, extracted without being heavy. Some coffee/mocha. A-/B+

1989 Ch. Cos d’Estournel

This is tannic, tight and surly. Not like other ‘89s I’ve had recently. Not fun. B- for drinking this night

1990 Ch. Cos d’Estournel

Ripe , smoky, pushing the edge but I liked. B+

1995 Ch. Cos d’Estournel
More open than expected but still young, this has a lot of potential. Black fruited, B/B+ for now but think this will be quite good

2000 Ch. Cos d’Estournel
Ripe but with tangy acids, cassis and black olive, I think this will be good, lots of potential. For now B/B+

2003 Ch. Cos d’Estournel

Jammy, a little volatile note, tannic. I think others liked more than me but that didn’t take much. I’ve had 2003 Medocs I like, this just wasn’t one. B-/C+

Group voting
1985 19
1986 17
1982 6
1990 3
1995 3

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 9 bottles of Cos (8 red, 1 white)

by David M. Bueker » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:09 pm

Just shocking that a 1985 is the most fun wine. ;)
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:38 pm

This great post makes me want to dig out the old Cos necktie that I bought at the winery years ago and wear it sometime!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:15 am

Thanks for that post, Dale. I just checked my inventory of Cos and find that I have 3x96, 2x89, 2x85, 1x78 and 1x70. I note that 85, which has a great reputation, was the best performer in your tasting but hardly great at your rating of B+/A-. I have so far opened 4 of my stash of 6 but have been underwhelmed by all but 1. However, I suspect that some of my bottles may have suffered at the store where I bought them about 25 years ago.

Your 89 seems disappointing. Is it your guess that it was a below par bottle?

I had a 70 at a tasting some 20 years ago and it already struck me then as a bit thin and over the hill. I'm hoping it was bottle variation but should broach my bottle quite soon with something else in reserve.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:30 am

Tim - any time an A- appears in Dale's notes (even if it's a B+/A-) it's an excellent ranking. Dale claims to be an easy grader, but he's really not. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:43 am

It should also be noted that I am not historically the biggest Cos fan, and went into this with my prejudices. I recognize it as well-done and important, but it (like LLC) has never excited me as much as some other super-seconds. It's a stylistic thing where they seem a bit "four-square" and overly structured to me. I'm much more likely to buy Pichon-Lalande, Leo-Poy, Ducru, etc. Or in St Estephe Calon or Montrose. As a matter of fact, I own one lone bottle of Cos (1988), and as we were trying to hit the supposed highlights (guy with '96 ended up sick) I traded a bottle of Mazis to Ben who brought the 2000 as my contribution.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:07 pm

I too have rarely been bowled over by Cos for similar reasons and go along with your preference for crus like Pichon-Lalande, etc. That one bottle of 85 was an exception in an elegant vein and I have a vague memory of a superb Cos 53 in the mid-60s. Similar vintages, some experts say.

I wonder why I have ended up with so many bottles :? .
Tim York
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:11 pm

I've had some great Cos's. Biggest surprise was a '97 cellar orphan discovered just a few months ago. Pretty lively and delicious for such a forgotten vintage.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov