The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Older Condrieu Question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Older Condrieu Question

by Redwinger » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:10 pm

I've been saving a 1996 Cuilleron (La Cote) Condrieu as a science project. Well, truthfully it is just another victim of cellar disorganization. Recognizing that most subscribe to the Viognier drink 'em young school of thought, I'm curious on what this wine will be like. Any experiences/thoughts to share?
(I'm not likely to post a note in the near future as I suspect the wine may still be a tad young...TPFIC).
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Older Condrieu Question

by Mark Lipton » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:16 am

Redwinger wrote:I've been saving a 1996 Cuilleron (La Cote) Condrieu as a science project. Well, truthfully it is just another victim of cellar disorganization. Recognizing that most subscribe to the Viognier drink 'em young school of thought, I'm curious on what this wine will be like. Any experiences/thoughts to share?
(I'm not likely to post a note in the near future as I suspect the wine may still be a tad young...TPFIC).
BP

Contrary to popular sentiment, winemakers in Condrieu say that a well-made Condrieu can age gracefully. I forget which of Cuilleron's Condrieus see new oak, but if La Cote ain't one of 'em it stands a decent chance of being interesting (and maybe even if it does see new oak).

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:34 am

Mark Lipton wrote:Contrary to popular sentiment, winemakers in Condrieu say that a well-made Condrieu can age gracefully. I forget which of Cuilleron's Condrieus see new oak, but if La Cote ain't one of 'em it stands a decent chance of being interesting (and maybe even if it does see new oak).
Mark Lipton

Mark,
Thanks for the encouraging report as believe this is the unlumbered version. Perhaps I'll save this bottle until the the upcoming, but unplanned for as yet, spring tasting event at Casa Paumen and we'll see if you are right.
'Winger
BTW, is Mark your real name?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:33 pm

Redwinger wrote:Mark,
Thanks for the encouraging report as believe this is the unlumbered version. Perhaps I'll save this bottle until the the upcoming, but unplanned for as yet, spring tasting event at Casa Paumen and we'll see if you are right.
'Winger
BTW, is Mark your real name?

???? Sure thought it was. Guess I'll have to check with my mother the next time I talk to her...

NotMark Lipton
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Toronto

by Alan Gardner » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:46 am

Our wine group had a tasting of Condrieu a few years back with some being 15-20 years old.
The group split on the young and old - with the mid-range (5-10 years) being less liked by everybody.
The older wines took on a more Semillon style- richer and rounder mourth feel. Don't recall if any were oaked though.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:55 am

Alan Gardner wrote:Our wine group had a tasting of Condrieu a few years back with some being 15-20 years old.
The group split on the young and old - with the mid-range (5-10 years) being less liked by everybody.
The older wines took on a more Semillon style- richer and rounder mourth feel. Don't recall if any were oaked though.

Alan,
Thanks for the data point. Very interesting and helpful. Seems there might be some hope for this orphan bottle afterall.
BP