The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What Bordeaux to drink...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

What Bordeaux to drink...

by Jenise » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:09 pm

....to commiserate with Paris on this awful day? I don't have any Le Veille Cure (I think it's called).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Re: What Bordeaux to drink...

by wnissen » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:19 pm

For me it would be Alsatian riesling, which I so fondly remember consuming with "coq au riesling" at La Brasserie de l'Ile Saint-Louis while taking in the view of the rear of Notre Dame, which was, if anything, just as beautiful as the famous front. And playing with my 5-year-old on the playground tucked right on the flanks of the magnificent flying buttresses. The newly cleaned front, the grime of decades of neglect gone, and surrounded by blooming trees. I remember the first time seeing the "rose" windows from the inside. The experience of visiting was, touristy, to say the least, lots of people chattering away in a sacred space, despite the constant broadcast of "quiet, please" in a half-dozen languages. But the importance of the building cannot be overstated. While it appears that the towers and some of the interior survived, sadly, there are many magnificent buildings that are no longer with us. Just across the Seine to the north there used to be a cathedral dedicated to Saint Jacques, which was disassembled, leaving only a lonely tower, to remind us of what there was.

Paris has suffered a lot these last several years, I think. Charlie Hebdo, the Bataclan, the flooding, the smog that lead to a ban on older cars, and now this.

EDIT: If anyone is in Paris and looking for a church to visit, for solidarity or prayer, the newly renovated Paroisse Saint Augustin in the 8th is open most days of the year. I find it has a certain kinship with Notre Dame, with a single tower and obviously later in construction, but still 19th century.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:12 pm

Walt, that's poignant.

You remind me to think outside of the box. Or at least the bdx. :) Bob and I honeymooned in Paris. At restaurant Laurent, with duck breast and foie gras, we had our first Montrachet. Our first white burgundy in fact. It was that wine that changed my life forever, as I grokked that what my California under $15 wine brain knew as chardonnay could be something more magnificent than anything I'd ever imagined. I had to know more, and here I am.

We went to Notre Dame on that trip. A beautiful sunny early September day, and as we came out of the church we were met by shouting police and the arrival of armed SWAT teams hanging from straps on the running boards of these big blue assault vehicles. We were ordered away, and like everyone else around we started running. A terrorist a-hole had left a bomb in the subway under the church set to go off an hour or three hence at 5 p.m. rush hour. They said it would have killed 20,000. I've had other visits both before and since, but that's the one that sticks--running, looking over my shoulder, scared and confused.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:06 am

Yep, we have a bunch of physical photos from our honeymoon, it was a wonderful place to have a llune de miel. I ended up opening a bottle I bought at La Derniere Goutte, a wine shop I think Rahsaan recommended to me that is located (checking Google) about 1.2 km from Notre Dame. 2014 Lise & Bertrand Jousset Montlouis-sur-Loire Demi-Sec Trait d'union was a lovely tribute.
Walter Nissen