The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A handful from Piedmont

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

WTN: A handful from Piedmont

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:31 pm

At home with Marcela Hazan bolognese on fusilli
2004 Cascina Garitina Barbera d'Asti Bricco Garitta (Piedmont) Rich, ripe, and tannic with plenty of acidity. This works wonderfully with bolognese. Imp: Ideal Wine

At an Ascheri tasting at a local shop (Imp: Carolina Wine/Martignetti)
2005 Cristina Ascheri Arneis Langhe Bright, crisp, with lots of grapefruit zing.
2005 Cristina Ascheri Gavi Lemon, lime, grapefruit and mineral. Pretty good.
2005 Ascheri Dolcetto d’Alba Nirane All stainless fermentation/aging. Grapey nose but lots of deep flavor of sweet dark fruit. Gripping tannins, solid acidity. Bring on the salami.
2005 Ascheri Barbera d’Alba Fontanelle Fairly monolithic. Not at all interesting
2003 Ascheri Nebbiolo d’Alba Bricco San Giacomo Expressive, violet, dark fruit nose, some chocolate on the palate, and a bit too heavy and chewy for what I want in nebbiolo.
2001 Ascheri Barolo Vigna dei Pola Yum! Super nebbiolo aromatics. Light and lively on the tongue followed by solid tannic structure, sweet fruit, good complexity. A keeper. Ascheri calls this his "modern" barolo but, from what I sense, that's only because of it's young accessibility not from barrique. While some (50%) new wood is used, it's all Slavonian botti.

Out to eat after the tasting
2000 Palladino Barbera d’Alba Superiore Bricco delle Olive (Piedmont) Rich nose of black olive tapenade, lavender and dark fruit. Very plush, fairly sweet fruit, and nicely integrated tannins. Very good. I had only had barolo from Palladino in the past and that was really good as well. Imp: Enotec.
Last edited by Bill Buitenhuys on Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: A handful from Piedmont

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:35 am

Guillermo, nice notes!!!