The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: My Big Fat Greek Wine Tasting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: My Big Fat Greek Wine Tasting

by Jenise » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:05 pm

Served the following to 90 guests at Friday night's neighborhood wine tasting. It was an open, non-blind tasting, and all the wines were purchased by me. The Xinmavros were opened and splash decanted the night before, all the other reds opened and splashed the next morning. A cool factoid: I had three Greeks in attendance, and my endeavor to find wines from literally every corner of Greece managed to coincidentally nail each one's heritage, even the little island of Cephalonia/Kefalonia.

At first I wasn't going to buy retsina, then I decided it would be the elephant in the room if I didn't. I bought these four at random at a local Mediterranean market appropos of absolutely nothing--just grabbed one of everything:

NV Zacharias Vineyards Omikron Retsina Nemea
My favorite and group favorite of four retsinas. Made from 100% roditis. I don't know if that's the base for all retsinas (I suspect not), but of the four I only know the base grape in this one. Very sauv blanc-ish with fresh rosemary and sage. Crisp yet elegant. A game changer with regard to most of us and our attitude toward this Greek specialty. So good we're going to sip on the leftovers tonight with feta cheese and olives.

NV Achaia Clauss Retsína Attica White Blend
2nd best of the four retsinas. Lacks the elegance of the Omikron but has more body and there's something fetchingly old school about it (like the label). Nose is definitely more rosemary than PineSol. I could drink this!

NV Greek Wine Cellars (D. Kourtakis) Retsina of Attica White Blend
This seems to be the standard supermarket retsina, I saw it everywhere. Probably because it has a better distributor, not because it's justifiably popular. Not awful like the Hermes below, but not elegant like the Omikron above. Yet it has the earth of the former and the rosemary of the latter. Could drink it, but wouldn't choose to.

NV Hermes Retsina Wine Traditional Appellation Mantinia White Blend
My first comment was, "Tastes like dirt!" so I was amused to find a reviewer on CT who said exactly that. Last place of four retsinas.

The reds:

2015 Domaine Zafeirakis Limniona Tirnavos
I have no background for judging Greek wines, but the closest equivalent in the geek-wine world I do know is Sicilian Mt. Etna nerello mascalese. Bright spicy cherry/loganberry up front and deeper plum on the palate with pretty spice notes, volcanic minerals and briliant acidity. Good length on the finish. Impressed! Good by itself, even better with food. My WOTN.

2016 Mitravelas Estate Agiorgitiko Red on Black Nemea
Honestly, not bad for $12. Cocoa dust and a grapey finish, big dark fruit on the midpalate and yes oaky but friendly, and at least the tannins didn't rip your face off like the xinomavros.

2013 Domaine Spiropoulos Agiorgitiko Red Stag Nemea
Plums and dandelions--underripe green flavors and not enough fruit. Bitter, screechy.

2014 Domaine Karydas Xinomavro Naoussa
Hard and tannic even after being opened and splash decanted 24 hours earlier, but there's actually some fruit here, unlike the wan '15 Kir-Yianni. Needs many more years, though.

2015 Kir-Yianni Xinomavro Ramnista Naoussa
Opened 24 hours in advance. Nebbiolo-like acidity, scant fruit, completely ungiving and tannic. Second day leftovers: even less fruit. I've had this in other vintages and liked it--here, a disappointment.

2016 Lyrarakis Syrah Kotsifali Crete Red Blend
Dark, sweet roasted cherries with a little smoke and red-clay minerality. There's also a lovely bit of funk that is similar to Washington's Rocks district syrahs. Startlingly good, and drinks a lot more expensively than it's $15 price tag. After tasting this I had to go back to my receipts to make sure I really had only paid $15 for this. My #2 wine.

2016 Skouras Zoé Peloponnisos Red Blend
Most popular Greek red at the tasting. Approachable fresh, sweet fruit with modest tannins like a good merlot worked for new world palates and, for many, defied prevailing beliefs about Greek reds. (To talk a couple who have travelled all over Greece and never had a wine they liked, I had to promise to give their money back if they didn't find one at this event.)

The whites table:

2016 Gentilini Robola of Cephalonia
Super pale. Very minerally with a vegetal nose that reminded me of an old Tourain sauvignon blanc after the fruit has faded. Reading notes from others one-two years ago, that would seem to be the case here--fruit's just gone.

2016 Domaine Gerovassiliou Malagousia Epanomi
Perfumed with spice and asian fruits, very similiar to gewurztraminer. Quite rich and reductive on the palate with a long honeysuckle and kaffir lime finish. It's interesting, but more powerful than refreshing. A splash of water actually livened it up. Malagousia was apparently on the brink of extinction when Mr. Gerovassiliou decided to save it and create a vineyard. Possibly behind the Spec putting it on their 2018 Top 100, an unusual honor for a basically nobody wine.

2017 Domaine Zafeirakis Chardonnay Tirnavos
A credible, balanced chardonnay with sage, salinity and crushed oyster shells. Dry and food-friendly.

2017 Santo Wines Assyrtiko Santorini
My favorite of five Greek whites. Rather Chablis-like with some flint among the minerals. Good body, dry finish. A bargain for $15.

2017 Sigalas Assyrtiko-Athiri blend Santorini
Nose of green bananas, sweetish midpalate with dry finish. Nice, though I can't figure out what the athiri brings to it.

And a dessert wine to go with Greek figs:

NV Hermes Mavrodaphne Mavrodaphne of Patras
This is an NV wine so it's impossible to compare one person's experience to another, but this wine exceeded expectations for a $10ish Total Wine purchase. Light, balanced, spicy, complex notes of plums, dates, raisins, cloves and cinnamon. For the price, an eye-opener.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Thanks...

by TomHill » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks for those TN’s, Jenise. Four...count ‘em...4.. Retsinas and not one use of the word “turpentine”. You are one brave lady. I keep hearing that the modern Retsinas are worth trying...but I never see them on the shelves.
I assume the Robolla is RibollaGialla?
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Thanks...

by Jenise » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:37 pm

TomHill wrote:Thanks for those TN’s, Jenise. Four...count ‘em...4.. Retsinas and not one use of the word “turpentine”. You are one brave lady. I keep hearing that the modern Retsinas are worth trying...but I never see them on the shelves.
I assume the Robolla is RibollaGialla?
Tom

Nope, no turpentine. I'll bet I'd have found it in the one with the crown cap the shopkeeper said all the little old Greek men come in to buy, though.

Re the Robola, I kind of presume that too. However, another geek and I tried to get that confirmed (and he really wanted to know, his family comes from that island) but we couldn't nail it down.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: My Big Fat Greek Wine Tasting

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:22 pm

I have tried a few Xinomavro the past few years and have always thought need more time.
I would have enjoyed this tasting, that is for sure. The last 2 whites I tried were not up to my tastes however..just keep searching.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:37 am

I love Santorini whites. Glad to see that it showed so well.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:50 pm

Yeah, the Santo was especially fine. Pretty fun to taste all these, and everybody brought Greek food.
no avatar
User

anna.souss

Rank

Just got here

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:09 am

by anna.souss » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:06 am

I love Santorini Assyrtiko and Naoussa Xinomavro.
Luckily I visit this part of the world often as my best friend owns property in Greece https://tranio.com/greece/. My favourite thing to do is to sit in a good company in local tavern and to enjoy amazing sea food with one of these wines.