The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Another Lemelson

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Another Lemelson

by Jenise » Thu May 16, 2019 9:46 am

2014 Lemelson Vineyards Pinot Noir Mt. Richmond Willamette Valley
Very dark in the glass. Earthy, oaky pinot nose with a hint of star anise. Plummy fruit on the palate with rainforest, shitake mushrooms and an unfortunately heavy hit of vanilla on the finish. Same vintage, same winemaker as the lithe, more developed, non-oaky Chestnut Hill we had recently but side by side you would not guess these two came from the same winemaker.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Another Lemelson

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 16, 2019 2:11 pm

Same elevage?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 16, 2019 3:15 pm

No way of knowing but I suspect not. More difference in these two wines (purchased the same day at the winery) than vineyard accounts for.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 16, 2019 3:48 pm

Chestnut is Chehalem Mountains AVA, which is a cooler area. Potentially lighter wines that may then get less intrusive elevage.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu May 16, 2019 6:20 pm

I get that, but I've had a lot of Valley floor wines that didn't show oak like this did. I'm guessing it had a higher percentage of new. Anyway, who knows.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu May 16, 2019 7:19 pm

I went looking for the Mt. Richmond on their site. No sign of it. Maybe they used it to break in some new barrels.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Wed May 22, 2019 8:19 pm

Mt Richmond tends to provide a bigger style of OR pinot, as it in a warm site: almost Shea-like. Elk Cove also makes a version from this vineyard.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 22, 2019 8:57 pm

Thanks, John. Obviously I'm unfamiliar. Anymore I really understand very little about one vineyard in OR than another outside of the ones I knew for years from St. Innocent.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Fri May 24, 2019 9:36 pm

You need to visit your neighbour more! You are lucky being so close to the Willamette Valley. Dare I say it, Oregon, IMHO, is far more interesting than WA, and has better wines and better value. There are very interesting differences between the main AVAs of Oregon that are fascinating to learn more about. Dundee Hills, Eola/Amity and Ribbon Ridge, for example, are very different and all excellent terriors for pinots.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat May 25, 2019 4:50 pm

Well it's certainly more pinots I'd prefer to have than more cabernets and syrahs. I'm easily impressed by those and I buy them, but what I want to drink is pinot noir. We just have to fit in the trips!