The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chianti Costalotta

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Chianti Costalotta

by Jenise » Tue May 21, 2019 6:33 pm

2009 Castello di Volpaia Chianti Classico Riserva Coltassala Chianti Classico DOCG Sangiovese Blend
Brought to dinner by a guest. This Chianti's new to me, but wow what a nice wine. Beautifully integrated fruit, elegant on the palate and finish. Works for me at the same level as Felsina. Apparently, pricey, if the CT avg cost is to be trusted, around $44/bottle.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: WTN: Chianti Costalotta

by John S » Wed May 22, 2019 8:17 pm

We get a little of this every year in BC, and as often the case for some unknown reason, Italian wines are often cheaper here than in the US. I think it was about $35 plus tax here last year.

It's a great visit as well, as Volpaia is a tiny little town that is basically the winery itself, and two nice restaurants.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed May 22, 2019 8:58 pm

Yes, Italian wines are a relative bargain up there, and you get many producers we don't see here at all (at least on the left coast). Thanks for the info.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu May 23, 2019 9:49 am

thanks. I used to buy Volpaia Chiantis fairly regularly, but haven't seen offered much in recent years. Only think I've had a Tuscan IGT recently that I didn't love. Good to know the better CCs are still good.