The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines from a dinner party

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Wines from a dinner party

by Jenise » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:22 pm

A few things we sipped last night at a friend's home. With starters of shrimp, olives and peanuts:

NV Poderi Morini MoRosé Spumante Brut Rosé Emilia IGT Centesimino
Corked. Sad, because this wine is SO good.

NV Treveri Cellars Germanic Blend Yakima Valley White Blend
This new sparkling-only producer in WA state is very popular and they make a broad range of things. But I'm not impressed. Quality's kind of all over the place with (usually) more RS than I can handle and huge variation in bubble size. They often drink more like soda pop than fine sparkling wine. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they employ both charmat and methode chamenoise processes and that a lot of the variation in the wines I've been poured over time is directly attributable to that. But here's a good one: good grape blend not speaking to any one grape but probably mostly riesling, good mouthfeel from tiny pin-prick bubbles with good persistence, and a clean/dry finish.

Then out came the main course: grilled tri-tip, Mexican corn and salad.

2012 Conn Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Anthology Napa Valley
Too much oak and not enough acid. Not really a surprise all things (vintage, age, producer) considered, but plodding and laborious to drink.

2009 Oakville Terraces Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Grown
I brought this one, and it's much better than the Conn Creek. This wine's ready to go. Classic Napa black cherry with cigar box spice, good secondary development and silky tannins on the finish. Decanted; no sediment. Should hold here or get even more interesting thru 2024 or beyond.

And later:

2014 Tinhorn Creek Cabernet Franc Okanagan Valley VQA
The gem among the after-dinner reds our host opened last night for the bright spice and herb notes and lack of overt oak. Great tang and balance.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Wines from a dinner party

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:07 pm

Don’t know Oakville Terraces. What’s the backstory?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Wines from a dinner party

by Jenise » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:57 pm

Dunno, David. Bought them from Last Bottle way long ago and at the time had a solid reason for thinking this would turn out well, but I no longer remember what I researched. Not previously familiar.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov