The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2017 Chelti Gunashauri Saperavi

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: 2017 Chelti Gunashauri Saperavi

by Rahsaan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:51 am

It seems like a rite of passage for Western wine geeks. Have dinner in a Georgian restaurant and order a delicious wine and then start dreaming about trips to Georgia and wondering why the wines are not part of our regular rotation. But then all the practical realities of life set in.

In this case, I was typically hopeless with the winelist and went for the one name I recognized from US wine geek crews (Nikolashvili), which was no longer available. But, the friendly staff suggested a similar wine and came with the 2017 Chelti Gunashauri Saperavi, which was absolutely lovely and exceeded my (low) expectations. Solid firm fruit but with supple elegance and fairly-well-layered textures and flavors for a modestly-priced wine (42€ on the wine list).

My dreams of Georgia wore off not too long afterwards, and it's hardly going to become a new passion. But it was great to try something new AND so delicious.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2017 Chelti Gunashauri Saperavi

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:06 am

Have a few wines from Georgia up here Rahsaan. Most have been very good, especially Saperavi.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:11 pm

Bought an assortment from Garagiste long long ago, and the four I didn't open are still sitting there where I regard them with great suspicion. Enough time has passed (over ten years) that it's probably safe now to open and toss. But such were the two I did open that I've never been tempted by Georgian wine again.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:28 pm

Cellared for 10 yrs?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:04 am

Jenise wrote:Bought an assortment from Garagiste long long ago...

Yes, that's the exuberant enthusiasm I was hoping to avoid! (But, I don't think I'm at risk of buying large quantities of Georgian wine. The biggest risk is that I will try to hurry back to the restaurant).
no avatar
User

Patchen Markell

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:18 am

Ithaca, New York

by Patchen Markell » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:14 pm

We finally made it out for a day of tasting in the Finger Lakes today and had a really terrific Saperavi at Shalestone, on the east side of Seneca. We had some at a Georgian wine dinner in Chicago a couple of years ago; this was the last place I expected to see it again! Good stuff.
cheers, Patchen