The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: weekend wines- GV, bubbly Gamay, ESJ more

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: weekend wines- GV, bubbly Gamay, ESJ more

by Dale Williams » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:55 pm

Hot Friday, Betsy made a nice cool dinner- green tea noodles, sashimi, bok choy, etcc with the 2017 Les Fouques “La Londe “ Cotes de Provence rose This was a bit flat, round strawberry, not my fave. B-/C+

Friends came over on a thunderstorm Saturday. They brought canapes (smoked mussels/hummus and smoked salmon/capers) and Champagne

NV Jacquart “Experience” Blanc des Blancs 1er Cru Brut Champagne
Baked apples, decent acids, tangy. B-/B

Main was lobster/nduja pomodoro pasta with zucchini on the side.

NV JP Brun FRV100
The light sweetness and bubbles helped with the spiciness. Easily best match, though nothing will be ideal with this dish (well, the seltzer), Fun and frothy wine. B/B+
2017 Collezione di Paolo Chianti
Didn’t match, pretty boring and dilute on its own. Red plum, modest acids. B-/C+
2018 Edmunds St John “Heart of Gold”
Actually ok with the dish, the fleshy ripe fruit handles heat better than other dry/still wines, and there’s enough acid for the tomato. Even better on its own. Great value.B+
2018 Villa Sparina Gavi di Gavi
Spice/heat kills this, but pretty refreshing on its own. B

That dish is hard on wine but too tasty not to do

Sunday we had oysters followed by veal chops with sage and rosemary, carrots with tarragon, snow peas, and collard/kohlrabi greens
2001 Jamek “Ried Achleiten” Gruner Veltliner Smaragd
Does TT still bring in Jamek? HAven’t seen in ages, this makes me wish I did. Full, pit fruits accented with smoke, white pepper, and petrol. Honied but not at all tired, firm acid backbone. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: weekend wines- GV, bubbly Gamay, ESJ more

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:40 pm

Glad the FRV100 worked reasonably well.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: weekend wines- GV, bubbly Gamay, ESJ more

by Jenise » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:59 pm

I love that Villa Sparina, what a great bargain. We've had it on and off for the last 2-3 years, and found it consistent across vintages. I also love the beautiful golden bottles, which I soaked the labels off of. One now holds my stove-side supply of neutral oil.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov