The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Two great Champagnes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Two great Champagnes

by Saina » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:26 pm

An overly generous friend from the US was visiting Helsinki and wanted to share a couple special Champagnes. I'm always up for some good Champagne. :)

Jérôme Prévost Champagne La Closerie Extra Brut Les Beguines - 2016 though not allowed on the label; 100% Pinot Meunier

All kinds of fun, fruity aromas with plenty of red berry and sweet apple scents. I haven't had many pure PM Champagnes but this seemed to have good acidity and even elegance and nuance compared to those few other PMs I've tried that were more rustic and rich. There was an almost tannic bite to this one that countered all that fruit perfectly. I liked it very much.

Jacques Selosse Champagne Grand Cru Lieux-dits Extra Brut Ambonnay Le Bout du Clos - disgorged 18.1.2018

Quite an orange colour. I love oxidative styles of wine and this was in that style. If the Prévost was more in a sweet red apple style, this is in a more sour green one (though not going so sour as the granny smith variety). Oxidative and earthy. Very rich on the palate but with good acidity and lovely effects from oxygen. If nitpicking, it's perhaps a bit richer on the palate than I'd ideally prefer, but I'd happily drink it again anyway.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Two great Champagnes

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:35 pm

Wow. That is overly generous. Very cool.

I really like Prevost. Selosse is too $$$ for me, but it is good.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:48 am

Great to see you Otto! I envy you the Prevost. Have developed a major fondness for 100% PMs.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:07 am

I have a friend who must really like Prevost, because he opens a bottle almost every time he hosts. The only bottles I ever drank were from his stash.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com