The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bdx blanc, Madiran, Vire-Clesse, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Bdx blanc, Madiran, Vire-Clesse, etc

by Dale Williams » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:54 am

With swordfish, eggplant, pasta with pesto, & squash, the 2018 Peybonhomme "Blanc Bonhomme." This is Bordeaux blanc, despite being in a Burgundy bottle (or something close, tighter neck). 50/50 Semillon & SB. Fairly rich, touch of vanilla, white fruits and citrus. The Semillon shows in some waxy/oily notes. Stands up well to the swordfish (and next day better with the oily mackerel than the Chardonnay I opened). B+/B

Saturday Spanish mackerel, greens, and the 2017 Sainte Barbe “La Perriere” Vire-Clesse. Peach, apple, hazelnut, moderate acods. Good B

Sunday Ruby and I invited a dog friend and 5 human friends to dinner (a dog and 6 humans arrived). We started with Rosalie’s deviled eggs, then moved to scallop/harukei crudo.

2008 Piper-Heidsieck Brut Champagne

Ripe brioche notes, apple, orange zest. Good acids but this doesn’t seem very complex for vintage from a good year, I’m a little disappointed as I have 5 more, will give another try soon.
B

Grilled tuna with wasabi/green garlic aioli

2018 Creve Coeur "Rose de Coucou"
Why did I buy a Rhone pink? Cherry preserves, lime, a bit dull. B-/C+

Then we had ranch steak, first caprese of year, a rice noodle/mushroom/pepper dish, & salad

2000 Ch. Montus Cuvee Prestige Madiran

Ripe and structured, big cassis fruit, lots of tannin. A little too stern for me right now, B this night, but will be better I assume.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.