The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Fritz Pinot Noir Russian River Valley California.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: 2004 Fritz Pinot Noir Russian River Valley California.

by Bob Ross » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:54 pm

2004 Fritz Pinot Noir Russian River Valley California. 13.9% alcohol. $12.50 a glass at Endless Vine, Franklin Lakes.

Ruby red color, medium hue, lovely aroma of fruit and black spices; very good fruit, spice and earth tastes with just a hint of chocolate and smoke, excellent balance with fine tannins, light oak, medium mouth feel, long, complex, interesting finish. A delicious wine -- I could have stayed all night! A great introduction to a winery new to me. 4*.

Regards, Bob

Notes:

Fritz Winery web site.

Winemaker: This cuvee is a blend of Dijon clones from the fog influenced Whitton-Goff vineyards near Graton, in the Russian River Valley. It’s a ruby red Pinot Noir that shows ample black cherry and plum, with hints of spice, leading to a very pleasant and long finish.

2427 cases; consultant Merry Edwards. Aged for 12 months in French Oak (60% new)
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: 2004 Fritz Pinot Noir Russian River Valley California.

by John Treder » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:02 pm

That's interesting. I was unimpressed by the '03 vintage PN that had just been bottled when I was there a couple of years ago. I liked a barrel sample of cab, though. And I did spring for some chardonnay, that was fairly reminiscent of an oaked Chablis. Good balance. It's in the cellar....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:08 pm

Bob, sounds like the wine fared better in 04 than 05: I had the 05 at a friend's house on Sunday. It was perfectly pleasant, but definitely a "little wine". Juicy, not very complex, and it tasted more of pomegranate than black cherry. Enough there to cause me to guess that it was a Russian River wine, though, I'll grant you that, and it's certainly a reasonable value at the kind of price you mention (I have no idea what my host spent on the bottle we shared. )
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:07 pm

Thanks, Jenise and John.

Something good must have happened in 2004 -- I see two reviews for that vintage on Cellar Tracker -- I could have written either review:

"Fabulous, dark fruit."

"What a deal! Floral nose, cherry and earth notes, silky texture. Delightful wine and not overpriced!"

On the other hand, so were the two reviews of the 2003:

"Classic Pinot. Would drink again."

"As good as the 2002 is, the 2003 is even better. It has the same red berry nose and flavors, but has a richer consistency that is fantastic."

And one for the 2005:

"Beautiful deep flavors. No heat from this 2005 pinot. Great find!"

Don't know the other folks, but I've learned to trust John's and Jenise's palates. I'll stop by Endless Vines this weekend and have another go at the 2004. Maybe I got the one good bottle! :)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:41 pm

Bob, thanks for trusting my palate. I might add that the Fritz followed a Michael Pozzan from Oregon which was a lot closer to the description of the Fritz you posted than our Fritz.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:24 pm

Geez! Trust my palate? I guess it's ok if you realize that I'm a Californian born and bred, and "lean, hard" wines aren't my style.

Perhaps I could sign myself "John the fruit-fly".