The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines from the past couple days...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

WTN: Wines from the past couple days...

by Bernard Roth » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:24 am

A few recent wines.

Dinner with Larry at Square One, food really excellent and large portions of adventurous CA cuisine:

2001 Müller-Catoir Haardter Bürgergarten Riesling Kabinett Halbtrocken - Yeah, that's a real mouthful... Floral and tropical aromatics, very flavorful and minerally edge to the fruit, quince, dry pineapple, pear, bergamot and dry honey, good acid and slight sweetness, finishing with strong Canada Dry ginger ale flavor. Real impressive. 92

1990 Ch. Fonsalette Cuvee Syrah - Amazingly youthful, the wine retains some freshly crushed syrah aromas. Also, a bit of initial funk blows off within a few minutes of decanting. Although throwing some sediment, the initial taste supplies noticeable talc-like tannins. Nicely crafted, Hermitage-like (and better than many Hermitage), the wine is incredibly balanced, barely evolved, yet showing depth and complexity. Still on the upslope, it needs at least another 5 years, maybe 10. 94+.

Tonight with leftovers:

2000 Owen Roe Zinfandel (OR) - My first OR zin. Fresh crushed zinberry aromas. Light on its feet despite the advertised 15%. Tastes like sweet, young vine fruit, no overt oak, very tasty and delish, though not at all complex. Maybe a bit diluted on the midpalate, but a very nicely done lighter style zin. Drink up. 89.
Regards,
Bernard Roth
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: TN: Wines from the past couple days...

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:20 am

Bernard Roth wrote:2000 Owen Roe Zinfandel (OR) - My first OR zin.

Maybe I'm just not following Oregon (or Zin) closely enough, but that's the first Oregon Zin I've ever heard of, Bernie. Do you know of any others?
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:34 am

Robin,
I know Sineann makes Zinfandel from Oregon grapes, although I've never tried it.
Also, I seem to recall Tony Soter doing so as well, but I could be mistaken about that.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Alan A.

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:22 pm

Being blue deep within a red state.

by Alan A. » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:54 am

Hood River Vineyards in the Columbia River Gorge area near Hood River, OR makes a zin and a zin "port." The Gorge area on the lee side of the Cascades is much drier and warmer than the Willamette Valley. It's a great place to grow warm weather grapes such as zin, syrah, tempranillo, etc. To illustrate the difference in climate, I spent a week in the Portland, OR area in the summer of 2005. The weather all week was cloudy, cool, with light rain. Spent a day in Hood River under bright sunny skies while Portland (about 60 miles to the west) stayed cool and cloudy.
Last edited by Alan A. on Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:32 pm

Redwinger wrote:Robin,
I know Sineann makes Zinfandel from Oregon grapes, although I've never tried it.
Also, I seem to recall Tony Soter doing so as well, but I could be mistaken about that.

Bill (and Robin),
Owen Roe and Sineann have/had the same winemaker, so no coincidence there. And I think that all of the Zin bearing an OR label will come from the same Columbia River Valley that is the source for most of Washington's warm weather reds. After all, the Columbia is the geographic boundary between the two states. Owen Roe also makes Syrah from the same area. I've had the '02 "Ex Umbris" Syrah from Owen Roe: a wine made from grapes hand harvested from a vineyard that survived a wildfire, hence the name.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:14 pm

Robin,
I can't add any useful info to what was already said. I do have a bottle of the 2000 Sineann in the cellar.
BR
Regards,
Bernard Roth