The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Chillable red wine (mostly)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

TN: Chillable red wine (mostly)

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:30 pm

The new Rob was hosting our local wine group, he’s one town up so we gathered an Ubered up to his home. Nice evening on deck, with lots of food- Fred’s pate with Rob’s homemade bread, a nice grilled pizza, grilled ribeye and vegetables. There was a forgettable bubbly, and then to the blind wines - theme was Chillable Reds.

2017 Domaine des 2 Anes “Premier Pas” Corbieres
I thought Loire at first, once we got South I got Carignan, but not where I went originally.
Bright red fruits, a touch of barnyard, herbs. Not very long but pleasant. B

1995 Breton “Les Perrieres” Bourgeuil
(I double-decanted just before leaving house)This divided group, as bell-peppery Cab Franc can do. Fred immediately guessed Chinon, so pretty close. Crunchy red and black raspberry, lots of pepper notes (green and black), some leather and earth (one person thought bretty but I didn’t get that). Good acids, mostly resolved tannin. B++

2017 Whitecliff Reserve Gamay Noir ((Hudson River Region)
What a surprise when unveiled, we had gotten Gamay, when he said New World I guessed Niagara. Tart cranberry, nice herbiness, bright. Best HV wine I remember. B

2017 Descendientes de Palacios Petalos (Bierzo)
Good acids, strawberry and vanilla, light finish. B/B-
2017 Gautier “Soif” Bourgueil
I quite liked this, though I didn’t get Loire. Soft black fruit, smoke, I thought this was a Rhone VdP or something. B

2011 Italo Pietrantonj Montepulciano d’Abruzzo
I had no clue on this one, and didn’t think it benefited from bring chilled. Hard cherry fruit, tart, clipped. I’ll stick to Masciarelli (at cool room temp). B-

Prada aTope Limonada de Mencia

So when this was poured I recoiled from nose. On third try I was able to really smell. Someone said “lemon dish soap” but I insisted on “Lemon Fresh Lysol” It was better on palate, but how could it not be? OK on palate sweet, tangy, short. OK theme was chillable reds ….C

Fun night

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: Chillable red wine (mostly)

by Jenise » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:41 pm

Kinda shocked that for that theme no one showed up with Beaujolais or Spanish garnacha!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:23 am

or trousseau...

OK, not shocked that there was no trousseau.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:18 am

Actually there was a Beaujolais, I originally was bringing a Foillard 3.14 but saw the '95 Perrieres and remembered I had promised Fred I'd share with him So carried that, and a '14 Lapierre. Which was opened at the end - showed fine but I didn't take any notes.

I think in general folks were trying to think a little outside box. Not surprised at no Trousseau (though we have had with this group before), but thought there might be Frappato, Groulleau, or Lambrusco.

Spanish garnacha is not one of first things I think of chilled (but certainly neither is MdA).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:52 am

The less expensive ones with, usually, very soft tannins chill very well.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:04 pm

I could see that (though I'm not a big Grenache fan), most of the Spanish Garnacha I see are more in the Tres Picos mode
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:38 pm

Me neither. But someone brought one once and my husband put it in the refrigerator. I found it, pulled the cork to test it for drinkability and thinking I'd instead dump it, but actually found that the cold retarded everything I didn't like and left me only the parts I did. It was decent.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:09 pm

Jenise..nice wine to celebrate when Trump buys Greenland :lol: