The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Drinking a 2003 Lynch Bages-Way too Early?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Drinking a 2003 Lynch Bages-Way too Early?

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:32 pm

In my reading, the 2003 vintage seems to be one more suitable for early drinking. I certainly enjoyed the 2003 Lynch Bages I tried at the wine shop. Am I making a big mistake if I drink this bottle this weekend? I'll decant it for quite a while.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Drinking a 2003 Lynch Bages-Way too Early?

by John Treder » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:36 pm

Are you making a big mistake if you drink wine? <g>

How do you know it won't be "too late" in a couple of years? (Francois notwithstanding)
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:58 pm

Obviously, the ideal situation would be to drink every wine at its peak. But I think many people get way too intense about it. The key issue to me is do you enjoy the wine? If you really enjoy it then you are opening it and drinking it exactly on time. Wine is about enjoyment... not meeting some sort of other people's schedule.

Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:44 pm

I think that's the thing. All the 75 year old wines francois enjoys makes me feel guilty for drinking some wines so young. :lol:

I think I will do the experiment.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:04 pm

Brian, the 03's seem to be fairly open right now. You won't get the full spectrum experience from that wine you'll get ten years from now, but you will have a good bottle of wine and another data point from which to view the California wines you live so close to. I think it's a good idea--then if you like it, go buy another for later. With Bordeaux, it's always a good idea to know the babies so you can recognize the adults.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:24 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:In my reading, the 2003 vintage seems to be one more suitable for early drinking. I certainly enjoyed the 2003 Lynch Bages I tried at the wine shop. Am I making a big mistake if I drink this bottle this weekend?

yup.
-OW
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:01 pm

OW: I guess I CAN wait, so maybe you're right. I simpyl really enjoyed the wine as a baby this summer, so...

Maybe I'll bring the 1996 Prieurie Lichine instead. I know that is drinking pretty well. Or, I have a 1997 Cab/Sangio blend (Alessi Arcibaldo). It is an Italian restaurant.