The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Port Question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:50 pm

Washington DC, Oregon bound

Port Question

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:20 pm

I am totally out of my league on this one...

We're having a small party during which we will be serving chocolate fondue. It was suggested on the kitchen forum that we might serve a vintage port, which sounds wonderful, but I really don't think I want to spend that kind of money, especially since no one at this party is particularly wine saavy (myself included!). Also, I read that vintage ports should be consumed within 24 hours after opening, and I doubt we'll be able to swing that w/ the small number of attendees.

So...how inexpensive can I reasonably go on a tawny without it tasting like cough syrup? Are there any special serving requirements? It doesn't need to be decanted like vintage, does it? If I don't want to spend more than $25, should I just ditch the port idea all together for this one?

Thanks, and apologies for the newbie type question on the more serious forum...you guys have always just been very sympathetic to those of us just learning :)
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

Re: Port Question

by Ryan D » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:28 pm

I have heard from a producer that a port can keep several weeks after opening [and given proper storage, capped and refridgerated]. The flavor will noticeably change but it won't go "bad" for up to a month or more.

Obviously depends on the port, he may just be talking about his.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:29 pm

IMO Vintage Port does not work well with chocolate. Chocolate is very tough to pair with wines. Some say that Banyuls and/or Maury work well, but I am yet to be convinced. If you want just something sweet that won't be killed from the chocolate (though not a good match) I would go with an oxidative style Port - tawny, in other words. 10 YO Tawnies should be rather inexpensive and sometimes can be very, very good. Pocas is a producer that I recently tried and liked very much. 20 YO Tawnies get quite a bit more serious IMO but can be some of the greatest sweet pleasures that I know of. Ferriera's Duque de Braganca is astonishingly good and can occasionally be seen for fair prices.

But do try Banyuls and Maury also. But if you wan't my frank opinion: if the pairing of chocolate + drink is the important part, then espresso is best of all. Or then enjoy a nice dessert and dessert wine separately (= my preferred option).

The oxidative style of Port should keep well for several weeks after being opened (= conventional wisdom). My personal experiences are that there is decline aromatically in a 3-4 days, but the decline isn't obvious on the palate. I am very much a minority in this respect, but I prefer not to keep my Tawnies open for more than a couple days.

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:33 pm

If you are looking for a good, cheap Tawny port, you might try Trevor Jones "Jonesy" port from Australia. This one is available most places for no more than $15 or so. The reviews are good and I have found it most impressive for the price.

Glenn

P.S. Edited to add...

"What a sensational value! Made by Trevor Jones in partnership with importer Dan Philips, this is a blend averaging 46 years in age. Its light to medium ruby hue is accompanied by an extraordinary bouquet of sweet candied fruit intermixed with notions of maple syrup, earth, and hazelnuts. This gorgeous tawny delivers plenty of pleasure." --Robert Parker's The Wine Advocate, October 2004.
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:43 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:But if you wan't my frank opinion: if the pairing of chocolate + drink is the important part, then espresso is best of all. Or then enjoy a nice dessert and dessert wine separately (= my preferred option).
-Otto-

Otto - I'm of the same opinion as you - that you cannot beat the coffee/chocolate combo - but since we've just started this little club w/ a focus on wine, I figured we'd try to work the port in for exposure. In December I attended an event where I tried a port with some dark chocolate, and in that particular instance it worked surprisingly well. Of course, I can't recall for the life of me which port it was...

In addition to just having a friendly get-together, we're hoping to all learn something new by meeting each month for some sort of wine-themed event. This should be a good opportunity for people to learn about their own preferences.
I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~John Galt
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:44 pm

Glenn Mackles wrote:If you are looking for a good, cheap Tawny port, you might try Trevor Jones "Jonesy" port from Australia. This one is available most places for no more than $15 or so. The reviews are good and I have found it most impressive for the price.

Glenn

P.S. Edited to add...

"What a sensational value! Made by Trevor Jones in partnership with importer Dan Philips, this is a blend averaging 46 years in age. Its light to medium ruby hue is accompanied by an extraordinary bouquet of sweet candied fruit intermixed with notions of maple syrup, earth, and hazelnuts. This gorgeous tawny delivers plenty of pleasure." --Robert Parker's The Wine Advocate, October 2004.

Thanks, Glenn! I'll make some calls to see who might have it in stock.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:10 pm

Marcorini Moscato d`Asti!!! Yup, I know its not port but with some chocolate items, this is one to consider sometime.
no avatar
User

Kyrstyn Kralovec

Rank

Wine guru

by Kyrstyn Kralovec » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:52 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Marcorini Moscato d`Asti!!! Yup, I know its not port but with some chocolate items, this is one to consider sometime.

I've actually already added that to the list (though I must give credit to AaronW, who suggested it on the kitchen forum)!
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:02 pm

K,

You can get Late Bottled Vintage Port for under and up to $25.

Otto, Banyuls and Maury are great pairings with chocolate; I've had the match numerous times--but the chocolate ought to be good quality.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Brooks Rownd

Rank

Just got here

Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:45 pm

Hilo Town. East Hawai'i

by Brooks Rownd » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:47 am

Thomas wrote:You can get Late Bottled Vintage Port for under and up to $25.

Osborne LBV used to be one of my favorite indulgences, and it was often as low as $17 in Denver. Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate it since I left the big city... :(
no avatar
User

D Honig

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:57 pm

Indianapolis, IN

by D Honig » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:42 am

My personal opinion is that it's not great with chocolate, but if you want a fairly inexpensive 10 year old Tawny, particularly in a smaller bottle, you can get Warre's Otima 10 year old tawny, 500 ml, at Costco for less than $20. It might work if the chocolate is particularly dark and bitter, but no way (IMHO) with a sweet or milk chocolate. Wine Enthusiast gives it a 91, Wine Spectator a 91, and personal notes on Cellar Tracker run from 86 to 90. Give it some air and some time.

Good luck.
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:26 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote: But if you wan't my frank opinion: if the pairing of chocolate + drink is the important part, then espresso is best of all.

-Otto-
Not for those of us who cannot abide coffee.

Personally, I just go with brandy, but I can see how that might not fit with the club goals.