The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Henry Winkeler

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Henry Winkeler

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:51 am

2015 Weingut Spreitzer Winkeler Jesuitengarten Riesling feinherb Alte Reben - Germany, Rheingau (9/15/2019)
So what the heck is feinherb?

Who cares, this wine is amazing!

Combine the richness of a Grosses Gewachs, with the effortless balance that judicious residual sugar brings to so many German Rieslings, and you have a masterpiece. I drank it with a couple of courses, and it danced with each one. With one dish it seemed almost completely dry. With the other it showed a little more of the sweetness. In both cases it finished with a completely dry taste, and a lingering breadth of flavor. Expansive is the best word for it. With such immense depth and impeccable balance, this wine could potentially age for decades. There is no way I won't drink it all up long before it reaches some mythical apogee.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Henry Winkeler

by Rahsaan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:33 am

Funny you should make this post because I was just looking over some wines for an order and a bunch of 14s and 15s (including this one) were available from Spreitzer. Not one of my core producers so I didn't give too much consideration. But the prices are fair and this note is strong, so I may have to give it a try!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:50 am

Definitely 2015 over 2014.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:10 am

Big Rheingau fan here so appreciate the TN.
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:48 pm

Your post reminded me of drinking an assortment of Pradikat wines in the 1980's from Von Brentano, also in the Rheingau. My favorite vineyard there was Winkeler Hasensprung or jumping rabbit if memory serves. Love that name.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:58 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2015 Weingut Spreitzer Winkeler Jesuitengarten Riesling feinherb Alte Reben - Germany, Rheingau (9/15/2019)
...this wine is amazing.

Finally opened my first bottle last night and it was indeed amazing. Like you, I was a big fan of the combination of rich depth and fine elegance. My only quibble was that the texture was a bit too juicy and seemed a tad awkward. 24 hours later it had sharpened into focus and was showing its best. So, while I'm never one to hold out for a mythical apogee, at least based on this first bottle I will either give the next ones plenty of air or be happy to wait a bit to open more.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:04 am

Howdy..can add a little something here!
Enjoyed the 2018 Spreitzer Winkler Jesuitengarten Halbtrocken at a pot luck dinner 2 weeks ago. ...with shrimp pad thai. Nice aromas of fresh fruit, tingling citrus. Good acidity, good length, mineral and savoury tones. "Apple and peach" noted fellow taster. I thought this was excellent value at $40 Cdn.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:08 am

I don't think I ever had a Spreitzer
I see Spreitzer Oestricher Muschkalk trocken at cheap at a local store.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:29 pm

Never? Wow. Spreitzer is on my annual buy list.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:45 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:2015 Weingut Spreitzer Winkeler Jesuitengarten Riesling feinherb Alte Reben - Germany, Rheingau (9/15/2019)
...this wine is amazing.

Finally opened my first bottle last night and it was indeed amazing. Like you, I was a big fan of the combination of rich depth and fine elegance. My only quibble was that the texture was a bit too juicy and seemed a tad awkward. 24 hours later it had sharpened into focus and was showing its best. So, while I'm never one to hold out for a mythical apogee, at least based on this first bottle I will either give the next ones plenty of air or be happy to wait a bit to open more.

Had another bottle over the past two days and it was just as amazing as the first. I was even tempted to say that the wine was perfect. Of course I don't mean that in an absolute sense. But it had so many things going on.

A ripe dose of golden fruit that fills the mouth. Firm mineral structure to provide focus and encourage more drinking. Plus, the slight sugar feinherb kiss that melds so well with food. And, to top it all off, enough character so that I don't get bored (although that develops in more detail on day 2)

Very impressive.

I can't remember having much experience with Spreitzer. Is this bottling always so impressive or was this a lucky year?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:20 pm

It’s a relatively new bottling. So far, so good though.